Loss of Power and Judder on Motorways

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Cath
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Cath »

I have a 66 plate qq Diesel Manual.
Last 2 months, after a period of about 200 miles of mixed Motorway/Town driving, when I get on the motorway, my qq will cruise at 70mph and then suddenly loose power, which is frightening in the fast lane, then the engine will judder, ( which you can feel through the throttle pedal, and then resume full power.
The main dealer says it is the catalyser regenertating,.
Has anyone experienced this and if so, what is the cure .
Thanks, Cath

Gel

Post by Gel »

That would be the dpf, not the cat. converter.
You should add details in forum signature area, as to precisely what diesel model you have/ location etc.

I have a 1.5dci and have never experienced that.
As still under Guarantee pressure dealer to sort; if obstructive, find another one.
Your manual should have a section on dpf maintenance; check it out. My model manual has
no mention, was added later.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

How old is the car, when was it last serviced, when was fuel filter last changed, same with the air filter?
Possible injector problem. As Gel says, it will not be the dpf regenerating.
Remember, the outside lane is primarily for overtaking, not for cruising along in.
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

My 1.6dCi neither looses power (accelerates wildly) or loses power (slows down) during regeneration. Fuel consumption may go up a bit, there's a slight smell, and the fan may stay on for a few minutes when parking even if its cold outside. But it's never affected the car's performance when driving. A problem with an injector is a more likely cause; you can buy diesel injector cleaner to add to your fuel. If not cured, see your dealer, or another one that's more truthful!
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
welshexport63
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by welshexport63 »

Hi
Glad I found this link I bought a 2017 1.6 Diesel in May of this year an ex rental model with 9000 miles on the clock the car was OK running around then we went on holiday I was driving and twice I experienced what you have described. We live in Germany so I was travelling at about 90 mile an hour when the power just seemed to cut out for about 3 seconds the steering shook and I felt it through the pedals. This happened twice on that holiday it was in May. Last week we went away again out on the Motorway my wife was driving and it happened again after about an hour of driving just for a second I felt it as well then everything was fine. If it is a particulate filter regeneration period surely loss of engine power during these few seconds can cause engine damage. I do not get any warning lights just these seconds of unease I am now thinking of use Wynns Particulate filter cleaner after reading up on these filters Wynns seems a good option I would like to know anyones thoughts on this subject. Just a thought I ran my Ford C-Max .6 Diesel for 240000km with no problems my son is now using it.
Gel

Post by Gel »

Welshexport; as you're still in Guarantee period I would get it booked in asap, and see if dealer can find anything
in the ECU's logs.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D