Nissan Qashqai 1.2 DigT - Cold Start rattle

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Jimbo2018
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Jimbo2018 »

Hi,

I’ve had the Qashqai since January 2018, initially I didn’t have this cold start issue when I received the car, within a week or so it started to happen and it seems louder as time goes on.

When starting the car from cold there is a rattle, seems to come from around the gear box area, I’ve tried pressing the plastic trim around those areas and it makes no difference.

I’m just wondering if it is something under the car or in the engine bay, the noise does go away once warm.

The car has been to my local Nissan dealer for a few issues, failed vanity light on drivers side (was like this when I received the car) and a keyfob issue which were both resolved.

The dealer didn’t seem too keen to deal with the rattle I pointed out, the Nissan tech dismissed it in full.

I explained to a member of staff that it can be heard more from cold, they suggested I drop off the car on its first service and maybe they’ll keep it for a day and give me a loan car.

To be honest I’d rather not wait a year, I’m not impressed by this.

So I might contact the dealer again to look at the car as I find it very annoying, I’ve not had this on other cars.

If they fob me off again I’m going to ask them to show me another Qashqai that’s the same spec to see if it does the same thing, just in case they say it’s a characteristic of the car, yes I’ve had the old characteristic thing on another car.

Has anyone had something similar? I know it’s difficult without seeing the car or hearing it, but does the cold start ring a bell?

Hopefully it’s something as simple as a bit of metal shield that’s loose, or movement in a mount.

Other than this I do really like the car.

Thanks in advance.

johntee

Post by johntee »

Hi jimbo 2018
I have exactly same system
Had car approx 5 months noise does go of after approx 1 mile unfortunately I have no faith in dealer finding fault as I have had previous noises rattles etc but none rectified.
Good luck
Jimbo2018

Post by Jimbo2018 »

John,

Thanks for the reply, as you say my faith in dealers is not the best, had to push for stuff in the past.

The Nissan Tech who dealt with me didn’t seem very good with customers.

Like you say the noise does go after awhile but it wasn’t there from new and based on your experience I doubt it will go away by itself.
Rhino2k
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Rhino2k »

Phone Nissan directly, they have always been superb when I have dealer issues.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I had a rattle took me ages to find, but it was one of the metal exhaust heat shields. Very common for these to rattle from below, and I'd been going under trying to make sure nothing was touching.

But turned out a cable was touching one of them from above. I found it by looking deep down right at the back of the engine area so you can see the top of the exhaust heat shield, and a thick black cable was resting on it. Bent it away and my rattle disappeared.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T