1.2 or 1.6 Petrol Engine?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
PPB66
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by PPB66 »

Hi all,

I went for a test drive in a Qashqai Tenka New Generation 1.2 petrol engine manual gearbox. Car was a pleasure to drive and I shall be purchasing a Qashqai. :D

But I'm unsure what engine size to go for. 1.2 or the 1.6 petrol man gearbox. :?

On my test drive the car seemed to pull off well from junctions, roundabouts etc and feels good at 70mph along a dual carriageway (though I was only on it for 5 mins).

I've read reviews, some say the 1.2 petrol engine is good for town/urban driving but not so good for motorway or long journeys as you have to work the engine to keep up with the traffic. In the higher gears between 50 and 70mph the Qashqai's engine feels strained, it isn't especially eager to pull, so you need to work the gearbox relatively hard and overtaking can be laborious. Not good when fully laden.

Any feed back from owners of the Qashqai with a 1.2 petrol engine manual gearbox and 1.6 petrol manual gearbox would be much appreciated

Thank you all ;)

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

We have had our QQ with the 1,2L motor now for 3,5 years (2014). We were originally surprised with the Turbo motor on how quick and quite it was. If you get the revs right it is quick enough for us anyway around town (Berlin). It is perfectly adequate but totally agree with the negatives. It is exactly what we noticed driving from Berlin to the Munich area. On the Autobahns we used the Cruise Control a lot but you do need to plan your overtaking, gear changes, speeds etc. our comment after our trip was nice but if we buy the new QQ it will be the 1,6L with the Manual Box (CVT not available) - Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Mocca

Post by Mocca »

1.6 is excellent
PPB66

Post by PPB66 »

Hi DaveBerlin

Thanks for you reply.
It seems the reviews I've read are quite true then, going by what you are saying. I am edging towards the 1.6 petrol

Thank you for you input mate and hope you have many more nice road trips in you QQ ;)
PPB66

Post by PPB66 »

Thanks Mocca

I can see me going for the 1.6 petrol engine. It's nice to know you have the power under the bonnet if one needs it. Cheers Mocca for reply
lapalmeraie
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by lapalmeraie »

Got the 1.6 myself because my region is in the middle of the hills. Previous petrol cars were 1.1 only and came short on hill climbing and overtaking other cars indeed. With this motor there is no problem with that. I can even overtake while climbing :)
Qashqai J11b 2020 N-TEC - 1.3 DIG-T 140PS
Qashqai J11a Connect Edition 1.6 DIG-T 163PS
LucaModric

Post by LucaModric »

If one have enough money, 1.6 is no brainer. Engine 1.2 is also very good, I have it for 3 years and no probs at all. I am always among fasters on highways, no problems with keeping up with highway traffic.
PPB66

Post by PPB66 »

Thanks LucaModric and lapalmeraie and all, for your comments and feedback.

I will be going for the 1.6 petrol engine, after reading reviews and your feedback on here it has convince me to spend out the extra £1,400 ish for the 1.6.
After all, I intend on keeping the car for a few years (at least 5) so what to be comfortable with whats under the bonnet.

Thank you all again.