Oil in intercooler pipes

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Smonk01

Post by Smonk01 »

Hi guys!

I was cleaning my qashqai 1.5 Dci (2008 with about 100k mile) and found a bit of oil in the intake pipes.
It wasn't very much and all cleaned up easily. Just wanted to know if that's going to be a big problem?
It runs fine like always.

Thanks!
Smonk

IMG-20180213-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20180213-WA0011.jpg

Qashqai 1.5 DCI 2008 J10

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Nothing to worry about. There’s always some oil in that part of the intake. My first intercooled diesel car, a 1988 Range Rover, actually had a scheduled service interval for removing and cleaning the intercooler internal with a special solvent, not that anyone ever did. Really excessive oil can puddle in the bottom of the cooler, to be sucked in to cause a runaway engine which will grenade, but that isn’t very likely. Small quantities just get blown through drop by drop.

Probably shouldn’t have told you this because you may now be worried. Don’t be. There’s no reason too. It’s quite normal. My 180,000 mile Toyota split an intercooler rubber hose last year and the main symptom was not excessive exhaust smoke but smoke from the engine compartment, consisting of oil vapour from a similar part of the system you have dismantled. It still runs like new and doesn’t even need topping up the oil between services, so rest easy.
benchmark

Post by benchmark »

Quacker wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 am Really excessive oil can puddle in the bottom of the cooler, to be sucked in to cause a runaway engine which will grenade, but that isn’t very likely.
Quite a few years ago I had a Renault turbo diesel that while in lane 3 of the motorway had power loss, when I looked in the mirror I couldn't see behind for the plume of smoke. Pulled over onto the hard shoulder and the revs were at maximum when the clutch was dipped, had to stall it in gear to stop it. New turbo for me :(
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

benchmark wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am
Quacker wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 am Really excessive oil can puddle in the bottom of the cooler, to be sucked in to cause a runaway engine which will grenade, but that isn’t very likely.
Quite a few years ago I had a Renault turbo diesel that while in lane 3 of the motorway had power loss, when I looked in the mirror I couldn't see behind for the plume of smoke. Pulled over onto the hard shoulder and the revs were at maximum when the clutch was dipped, had to stall it in gear to stop it. New turbo for me :(
A turbo with leaking seals is the most likely cause of really excessive oil puddling in the intercooler and eventually feeding the engine. Most looked after turbos, left to idle for a minute before shutting down, will last the life of the vehicle.
The normal oil seen in the picture is from the closed engine breathing system, which is quite normal.
Smonk01

Post by Smonk01 »

Thanks guys!
Qashqai 1.5 DCI 2008 J10
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The engine breather system historically blows gasses / oil mist out that are directed into the intake system just prior to the turbo intake. So all this muck goes through the intercooler & pipework before its burnt. Its normal and nothing to worry about as others have said.
rahulraval90
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by rahulraval90 »

I am having the same issue but I don’t have any smoke coming out the exhaust or I haven’t lost power