Car Not Starting Properly

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
fordy1969
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fordy1969 »

Hi, bought a 2014 QQ back in mid 2017, now in the cold weather experiencing problems starting it to the point that the battery has died. We have had the battery replaced with a £200 plus Bosch AGM one but on getting in this morning (battery was fitted yesterday) the car did not start first time
We have had the stop/start error that seems a common one showing up for the last few months on and off but as we dont like the stop/start function it did not bother us

My wife is now concerned we have bought a duffer! Can anyone help?

Battery was replaced by a non dealer workshop who are very good and cheaper than main dealers so believe they have done the right thing but just concerned why a new battery would not start the car first time on a cold morning

Can anyone help?

Thansk in advance!

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi fordy,

Its a pity you have not been reading the numerous threads about faulty FIAMM batteries, you would have saved yourself £200. Nissan are replacing old batteries FOC, even if they are older than 3 years.

Lots of things can affect the starting from a faulty MAF sensor if you have the 1.6dci to a loose earth under the battery. I recommend you search the forum for the battery threads.

here is a starter or not as the case may be. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6114&hilit=battery
fordy1969 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am Hi, bought a 2014 QQ back in mid 2017, now in the cold weather experiencing problems starting it to the point that the battery has died. We have had the battery replaced with a £200 plus Bosch AGM one but on getting in this morning (battery was fitted yesterday) the car did not start first time
We have had the stop/start error that seems a common one showing up for the last few months on and off but as we dont like the stop/start function it did not bother us

My wife is now concerned we have bought a duffer! Can anyone help?

Battery was replaced by a non dealer workshop who are very good and cheaper than main dealers so believe they have done the right thing but just concerned why a new battery would not start the car first time on a cold morning

Can anyone help?

Thansk in advance!
fordy1969

Post by fordy1969 »

Thanks for the info Daewar!
Does it matter if the car was second hand and not bought form a Nissan dealership?
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm unsure, although there is usually someone who has had this experiance and will reply sooner than later. Personally I would phone Nissan customer support and ask them.
fordy1969 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:24 pm Thanks for the info Daewar!
Does it matter if the car was second hand and not bought form a Nissan dealership?
fordy1969

Post by fordy1969 »

Thanks again Daewar, I have rung my local dealer and am waiting for a service representative to phone back, the wife is not happy about this and now wants to sell the car!
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

A Bosch AGM battery is quite different to the original EFB type and the car has to be programmed to accept its identity, charging characteristics etc. Did the garage do that?
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
fordy1969

Post by fordy1969 »

Hi Hound
Tbh I dont know but today after reading the forum I thought I would contact my local Nissan dealer, and to my shock they can do a new battery at considerably less than the Bosch one that was fitted, so the Bosch has been removed and the old one replaced and the car is now waiting to be fitted with the Nissan battery tomorrow, so hopefully this will sort it and my wallet will be £100 or so better off than it was, plus they will clean it inside and out as well! Fingers crossed!