1.5 DCi poor acceleration / loss of power

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
apmcook
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by apmcook »

Hi Quacker - that is probably true - was thinking of another trip to Camberly and BCA to get another younger model - this one has done very well all things considered - it came from there originally (November 2013) with all the service stamps with 131k miles on the clock for around £4.5k then.
Still quite tidy - but there is the challenge of finding what the problem is too :) The other problem is that I want a new car too and dare I say it I rather like the Audi SQ5 but will probably have to settle on the S line Q5 :cry:
Nissan Qashqai - 1.5 DCi - J10 - 59 plate 2010 model - 210K
(baby sister to my BMW X5 3.0d Sport 55 plate)

apmcook

Post by apmcook »

Hi Guys - an update -
MOT failure mechanicals fixed - replaced the both Anti-roll bar links - replaced both handbrake cables - (tip - use the little rubber seals from the old cables when fitting Blueprint cables as they don't provide them) I did have to remove the centre console to get to where they enter the car to fit the washer and clip that stops them falling out so took a bit longer than I had anticipated) -
Performance bit - having taken dani87's advise to check boost by holding the flexible pipe, I got my son to rev the car whilst I held the flexible pipe connecting the metal pipe over the top of the engine leading to the intercooler - bingo - I found I was holding my hand over a split of about an inch on the underneath of the pipe!! hence lack of or no boost - my original thought. Fitted new hose last night and took it for a run - much better and no longer smoking - however....
It still failed on emissions this morning - I suspect that it needs a good long run out to get the Arhcoil currently in the tank through the Catalyst - if it has been running poorly for a while I suspect the catalyst could be a bit clogged and not being very efficient? Any suggestions?
Cheers
Paul
apmcook

Post by apmcook »

Hi Guys - an update following retest on the emissions :(
Oil and Filter change didn't help - Shell V-Power didn't help - Italian tune didn't help - still failing on emissions - no DPF on this one so looks like the Catalyst is not doing its job - it fly's along really nicely now too. Suggestions?
Cheers Paul
apmcook

Post by apmcook »

Ok Guys - Update and not a good one I'm afraid - still failing on emissions - :x
It had an overnight soak Terraclean Fuel line clean - which on the face of it did a good job with the Opacity test down from 3.29 to 1.41
Great we thought - quick re-test and bobs your auntie
Not so - the MOT emissions test is different - tested under hard acceleration - idle - hard acceleration x6 times - and I can see why it failed.
Under hard acceleration it smokes very badly - not visible when driving though (from in the car) - so back to diagnostics.
Codes that have appeared since last clear down -
P0100 - Mass or Volume Air flow - Circuit Malfunction (it got a new MAF)
P0110 - Intake Air Temperature - Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0381 - Glow Plug/Heater Indicator - Circuit Malfunction
Any suggestions (to fix it!!) welcome - thinking perhaps Air Intake Sensor - nothing happened when it was disconnected - same smoke...
Cheers
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

I would forget the third option, not likely on hard acceleration, and first perhaps fixed, so go for second possibility.
Just my thoughts...
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
apmcook

Post by apmcook »

Update - problem solved !! - swapped in the original MAF and bingo the thick black smoke of over fueling stopped.
So, in attempting to fix the original problem of poor acceleration / loss of power and replacing what was thought could be the culprit (MAF) I introduced what would turn out to be a problem once the hose was replaced. Thanks all for your input. Cheers
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Congratulations! Thanks for update. :)
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
Richuu
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Richuu »

You've described perfectly the symptoms on my wife's Qashqai, so hopefully this thread will help on my troubleshooting. How do I find out if I have a dpf?