1.5 DCi poor acceleration / loss of power

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
apmcook
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by apmcook »

Hi Guys
Drove my wife's' Qashqai for the first time for ages the other day only to find it had very poor acceleration and if it were a petrol I'd say it also had a misfire associated with a bad plug - and only happy to trundle along the motorway at 70 ish and at 2-3k rpm.
(Why is it they then say - yeah been like that for a while now!!)

Any how.. checked replaced the air filer - replaced the MAF - and dismantled and cleaned the EGR assembly - it was not too bad TBH. Put it all back together and test drove - ran slightly better but still no great acceleration - noticed that when accelerating hard (foot to floor) it did smoke quite badly.

I have noticed in dismantling the air inlet hose (from the air cooler) that fits to the where the boost sensor is located and on through the accelerator housing is quite oily Unhappy - which indicates (to me anyway) that I'm looking at a potential Turbo issue?

EGR - I was going to block this off but I have welded assembly so have given up on that idea.

I have some codes (using EOBD Facile) which could be influencing each other -
P0110-75 - Intake Air Temperature - Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P2263-49 - Turbocharger / Supercharger Boost System Performance
P0381 Glow Plug/Heater Indicator - Circuit Malfunction
and some more MAF instances

The car is a 2010 model and has just clocked over 210k miles

Any help in further diagnosis would be greatly received and appreciated -

...next question is probably going to be how easy / hard is it to replace the turbo under home workshop conditions

Cheers
Paul
Nissan Qashqai - 1.5 DCi - J10 - 59 plate 2010 model - 210K
(baby sister to my BMW X5 3.0d Sport 55 plate)

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

What state is the dpf in? You cleaned the egr valve, but have you cleaned out the pipework either side of it. Its been mentioned recently that this makes a difference. After driving a BMW Sport, 3litre at that, its bound to feel sluggish, when in reality thats just the way it is with a small diesel engine of that age in a car that size. It may be in need of a thorough service and other bits, but I suspect there's nothing more wrong with it than that. Maybe worthwhile looking into getting it 'Terracleaned'. Others swear by this process.
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

At 210,000 miles, the poor thing is on borrowed time. The DPF is probably the culprit and if the original has lasted to this mileage I would say that its a minor miracle. They have a finite life and even when regenerating properly they do eventually clog up with ash residue from the regenerations. On a small vehicle such as this, the DPF is not serviceable and you will need a new one, should this be the issue. On large trucks and other commercial engines, the DPF can be removed from its housing and the element cartridge replaced with a service-exchange unit.
apmcook

Post by apmcook »

Hi Quacker / gvmdaddy

Thank you for your responses - granted a 3.0d Sport is tad more quicker than the Qashqai, but I have had other comparatively low powered diesel engine motors - couple of Citroens - company cars I hasten to add :lol:

The second time I dismantled the parts around the EGR I did go a bit further ( having received the blanking plate and was looking to use it until I discovered the differing types e.g. welded v non-welded) and yes there was some soot deposits in both the metal pipe work and the short rubber hose that leads back to the intake from the MAF towards the Turbo intake - but no real clogging amounts.

DPF - I need to check from under the car and up under the Turbo area and see if I can dismantle it and have a look - its all very tight working on the back of the engine from the top - :x

I have read about Terraclean - and yes it sounds like an option - however, going back to comparing the BMW - The Qashqai did have some noticeable acceleration before - it just feels strangled - no boost - as in the case when the MAF failed on one the Citroens a good few years back.

I've a couple of things to check next session: look at testing the Turbo boost mechanism / vacuum / sensors etc.

MOT tomorrow first - fingers crossed :roll:

Cheers
Paul
dani87

Post by dani87 »

Blocked air filter? Boost fault could be turbo. If you erase the fault and drive it does it come back with boost fault? Can you if you rev it up can you see the pipes expand to confirm turbo is boosting? Has fuel filter been replaced?
apmcook

Post by apmcook »

Hi dani87 - thanks for your response - Air Filter changed at the same time as the MAF - Fuel Filter changed within the last couple kmiles or so - the fault codes have been cleared down a couple of times and the same ones come back - good point on checking the Turbo boost - I do that later this evening perhaps as a quick check - Cheers
dani87

Post by dani87 »

I find when they get hot the bearing seizes causing the impellar to stop spinning. Done loads of em here. (Nissan s wales)
dani87

Post by dani87 »

Also changed a few turbo actuator solenoid valves. (By airbox with 2 vac pipes going to it. )
apmcook

Post by apmcook »

Hi dani87 - thanks again for your responses - busy weekend coming I feel - failed MOT today - Hand Brake not holding well enough - noted last year and thought I would have to replace the cable this time round - ha ho. Also NSF anti-roll bar connecting rod - too much play in the UV joint so a couple of them on order. In your opinion which is the best way to get to the DPF / Turbo - form underneath or over the top - I wondering if there were any tricks to make life easier like undoing engine mounts (holding engine on jack) and letting it lean forward having disconnected the exhaust pipe? Cheers Paul
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Before spending too much time and money on it, do remember that you could buy a car with less than half the mileage to replace it for around £1500. Less, if you can sell yours.