1.2 dig-t grey smoke

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

Hi guys,

Week 2 into my qashqai ownership, great motor.
However, I've noticed a lot of grey smoke coming out the exhaust when driving and stationary. Even when engine is up to temperature. Anyone know what this could be?

I know when starting and cold, condensation can appear, but this is thicker than condensation...

I should add, it's done less than 18k miles and is a 15 plate.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by ABliss on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Sounds like it may be burning oil. It has been a very bad issue with certain 1.2 petrol engines.

Have you been checking your oil level?

Also check if your loosing water coolant. That would be the head gasket leaking.
ABliss wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:32 pm Hi guys,

Week 2 into my qashqai ownership, great motor.
However, I've noticed a lot of grey smoke coming out the exhaust when driving and stationary. Even when engine is up to temperature. Anyone know what this could be?

I know when starting and cold, condensation can appear, but this is thicker than condensation...

I should add, it's done less than 18k miles and is a 15 plate.

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Are you really sure it's not just condensation? The 1.2 is the worst car for condensation/steamy exhaust I've ever seen, even after a 1hr motorway trip when you think it would be up to temp and all burned off you still get a lot of steam coming out when you park up (and it is steam not smoke in my case as water is dripping out too).

There are various tests you can do to distinguish between smoke and condensation, from smelling it to holding a cold milk bottle in it to see if water forms on it. Google it.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

chrisw99 wrote:Are you really sure it's not just condensation? The 1.2 is the worst car for condensation/steamy exhaust I've ever seen, even after a 1hr motorway trip when you think it would be up to temp and all burned off you still get a lot of steam coming out when you park up (and it is steam not smoke in my case as water is dripping out too).

There are various tests you can do to distinguish between smoke and condensation, from smelling it to holding a cold milk bottle in it to see if water forms on it. Google it.
That's the problem, I'm not entirely sure what to say expect from this engine. Never seen it before.

I'll do some checks when I get into the car.

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Go out on a cold night and light a match, blow it out and watch the smoke, it hangs in the air a lot differently than the wispy breath coming out of your mouth. There is a difference with the way it dissipates, difficult to describe but becomes obvious once you do that and hopefully it is just condensation!
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

chrisw99 wrote:Go out on a cold night and light a match, blow it out and watch the smoke, it hangs in the air a lot differently than the wispy breath coming out of your mouth. There is a difference with the way it dissipates, difficult to describe but becomes obvious once you do that and hopefully it is just condensation!
I know what you mean. Which is why I thought it was smoke. I had an old diesel before the QQ and the smoke acts in a very similar way.

un1eash
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by un1eash »

General rule is white smoke = water, blue = oil and black = diesel.
Ink Blue J11B Tekna 1.2 Dig-T with Glass Roof
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

As an update to close this thread. I've not seen anything recently and I suspect it was just condensation.
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

I have noticed more than usual steam condensation on certain cold damp days. More than other cars and mine has been doing this from new. Not yet worried about it. I had a car once where the head gasket blew and I couldn't see the road behind as the steam was so dense.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Follow lots of QQ up here and they all do it ..mine can be running for 20 mins and i put my foot down on a small hill and you can see it in nearside mirrow....david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car