Help me locate this oil leak (J10 1.5DCI 106) (photos inside).

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Comandante_J
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Comandante_J »

Hi!

I have a slow-ish oil leak on my Qashqai, i've tried to locate it visually with no luck, I guess the best way to locate would be to clean the area nicely, put some additive in the oil, and hit it with a UV light, but before I spend money on it, i would like to know what you guys have to say about it from these photos.

I can take more if you need me to, in case these are not clear enough.

The oil gets all the way to the back of the car, blown by the wind, I guess, but that zone seems to be the root of the leak.

Does anyone know where could it originate from?

Thanks in advance.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I would start by getting the engine cover off, degrease to get rid of the dirty oil and give the rest of the engine bay a good pressure wash whist your at it. Obviously being a bit smart with what parts you aim at, finish off the rest of the engine bay with a spray of Duckoil or another water repellant.

You could get some dye penetrant developer https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dye+p ... e&ie=UTF-8 its a bit like chalk in that it absorbs fuel or oils and so looks damp where the leak is higlighting the problem area. It can be washed off very easily.
Comandante_J

Post by Comandante_J »

Thanks, i'll probably do that, the problem is that none of the local car wash stations allow to clean the engine in their installations, and i dont own a pressute washer.

I guess its as good time as any to buy one, haha.

While i try to buy one and clean it, does anyone know if there are some known leaks in that part of the engine?
dani87

Post by dani87 »

Could be from the intercooler.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Do you know as with most cars the intercooler is near the radiator at the front of the car?

dani87 wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:38 pm Could be from the intercooler.
Comandante_J

Post by Comandante_J »

I've tried to discard everything turbo-related, I took the intercooler hose off and it was a little damp with oil, not much, just like a film of oil.

The turbo was replaced at 140.000 km (86.000 mi), and the car has 230.000 km (143.000 mi) right now. We didnt keep up with maintenance intervals as rigurously as we should have, but we always used fully synthetic oil with the right formula, good brand oil and air filters, and the car has never been driven aggresively.

I've done a little more digging on the interwebs and found some cases where the fault was that the crankshaft oil seal had gone bad. Do you think it would be possible?
dani87

Post by dani87 »

Could you take the plastic engine cover offand send a few pics. The oil looks like its from the upper to mid engine (thats why i said poss intercooler) if its k9k engine it could be rocker cover gasket leaking, cam shaft seal leaking or possible headgasket leaking. I work in a nissan dealer and have done since 2005.