Oil level after dealer oil change

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Dave, I left the check overnight and then just removed the Dipstick and the Oil Level appears to be just under the “Max” what is above that is just oil smearing - Job Done ✅ Dave :D

E7D81C54-58AE-4158-8430-0731AB819FC6.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

DaveBerlin's photos has highlighted to me that when ive had my car serviced they obviously havent fully drained and replaced all the oil. Ive checked it after the service and the dipstick is holding oil that is clearly not new, its still black, the colour and consistency as if they've only partially drained it then topped up. Until now ive just accepted that's how it should be but having seen the photos I'll be making sure its done correctly in future.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

If yours is a diesel it will be like that it ...when I was working i had 5 toyota forktrucks that I had to do checks on and the ftter said diesel oil goes like that...
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

david sunderland wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:12 am If yours is a diesel it will be like that it ...when I was working i had 5 toyota forktrucks that I had to do checks on and the ftter said diesel oil goes like that...
Dont see why it should be any different from a petrol car.
The oil gets used, degrades and blackens just the same. At service it should be entirely drained and renewed just the same. End result should at least be clean oil, certainly until youve covered a couple of hundred miles or so. It should really make no difference, so if it does, then why?
Terry64
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Terry64 »

Your oil should not be filled to the max level it should be filled to the 3/4 level. The max level is just an indicator as is the min level.
The reason you only fill to the 3/4 is once your oil gets hot it expands so if you fill it to much it creates to much pressure.
This pressure then tries to find a way out and if you have any oil gaskets that are a little worse for wear it will find its way out there, then you have an oil leak that needs repairing.

Yes you may say I have always filled my cars to the max and never had a problem, but there was a problem to much pressure you were just lucky that your seals held and did not allow a leak.
Also if you only do short journeys your chances of springing a leak are far less than those that fly up and down the motorway every day.

Trry
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Terry64 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 am Your oil should not be filled to the max level it should be filled to the 3/4 level. The max level is just an indicator as is the min level.
The reason you only fill to the 3/4 is once your oil gets hot it expands so if you fill it to much it creates to much pressure.
This pressure then tries to find a way out and if you have any oil gaskets that are a little worse for wear it will find its way out there, then you have an oil leak that needs repairing.

Yes you may say I have always filled my cars to the max and never had a problem, but there was a problem to much pressure you were just lucky that your seals held and did not allow a leak.
Also if you only do short journeys your chances of springing a leak are far less than those that fly up and down the motorway every day.

Trry
Yes, it does expand when in use and hot, but its minimal expansion, so little that you would find it extremely difficult to notice. There is nothing at all wrong with filling to the max indicator or near it.
A similar myth is that you shouldnt completely fill your fuel tank in hot weather as it poses a fire risk. This seems to get posted on Facebook every summer and its completely untrue.
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

gvmdaddy wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:02 am DaveBerlin's photos has highlighted to me that when ive had my car serviced they obviously havent fully drained and replaced all the oil. Ive checked it after the service and the dipstick is holding oil that is clearly not new, its still black, the colour and consistency as if they've only partially drained it then topped up. Until now ive just accepted that's how it should be but having seen the photos I'll be making sure its done correctly in future.
As already mentioned there is a difference between Petrol and Deisel

Dave has a petrol engine
Petrol should be clear if changed.
Diesel will be black after even a few miles after the oil change

So all it takes is your car to be moved around the service area and your dip could show black, if of course you drive home and then dip a deisel it will show black.

What you need to remember when they drop your oil all they do is let it drain, there are many parts in the engine where you will find oil left sludge gunk just dropping the oil does not clean the internal engine.
Deisel oil is much thicker than petrol oil so a petrol engine will drain better and be left cleaner before the oil refill

Terry
Qashqai ACENTA 1.5 DIESEL , INK BLUE, Chrome Mirror caps,Tailgate Lower/Upper Trim,Front Lip Door side Strips Front lower grill, Bonnet struts,Puddle light + Footwell lights
Terry64

Post by Terry64 »

gvmdaddy wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:52 am
Terry64 wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 am Your oil should not be filled to the max level it should be filled to the 3/4 level. The max level is just an indicator as is the min level.

Trry
Yes, it does expand when in use and hot, but its minimal expansion, so little that you would find it extremely difficult to notice. There is nothing at all wrong with filling to the max indicator or near it.
A similar myth is that you shouldnt completely fill your fuel tank in hot weather as it poses a fire risk. This seems to get posted on Facebook every summer and its completely untrue.
It is not a myth if you have to much engine oil you create pressure, pressure needs to escape. FACT
I did not say it is wrong to fill to the max or near it but it is good practice to fill to 3/4 to protect the engine seals.
If it is a myth regarding filling to 3/4 could you explain why all dealerships do this and also ask a good Mechanic if this is good practice.

I have just pointed out the reason why they only fill your oil to 3/4 but if you feel they are ripping you off for a few litres of oil then take them to small claims court.
Please let me know the outcome
As for the petrol myth you mentioned that not me.

Just one more thing I do not go on FB it is full or poo I live in a real world

I also guess the advice from Mercedes regarding the fleet of sprinter vans we run is a Myth then ,, do not fill your oil to full they advise me, and on every service you got it the oil is 3/4 full

Do you have any evidence to back up your theory of it being a myth ?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Terry64, I totally agree that overfilling with oil can result in problems, it even says as much in the owners manual. I also agree that an oil level anywhere between the lower and upper marks on the dipstick is perfectly acceptable. The 'good practice' issue is a little hazy. Most garages doing a service won't have the time to allow an oil change to settle in the sump before checking its level on the dipstick and it can take a few hours, its been discussed on here previously. If youve just had a service and dip your oil it will most likely be below the upper mark, but dip it again after standing overnight and the level will be nearer the upper mark. The marks on the dipstick are guidelines for the average 'Joe Public'. Filling to the upper mark poses no risk at all, not even allowing for minimal expansion. Safety margins will have been factored in. Exceeding the upper mark on the dipstick could potentially lead to problems exactly as you suggest.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Had to take over a ltr out of my daughters mini diesel which was 4months old when we got it ...garage says mini if used on short runs can top up the oil with diesel fuel w hen the dpf cleans itself it was coming up to a year old the oil is in for 2 years so had to drop the level.....qashqai use the same system for cleaning the dpf
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car