Oil level after dealer oil change

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Hi Guys,

When I had my QQ serviced a few weeks ago I noticed that the oil level was only 3/4 up the dip stick between low & high. I asked the dealer to top the oil up whilst the car had some warranty work done yesterday and they said it was at the correct level.

I then thought back to a previous service on my QQ & yes, it was filled it up to the 3/4 mark?

Now, from my many years of owning cars, some serviced by myself & some by dealers, I always believed the oil level should be filled to the full mark as it generally gets used up over time.

What are your experiences of where the oil level is after your service?

Are newer cars only needing filling to 3/4?

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, good point you have raised on the Oil Level. As you mentioned I also used to do it myself but those days have gone. I must admit I never have checked this immediately after a Service but the next is coming up and I will.
Could it be that the Technicians fill the motor with a Preset Oil Filler as for our motor it specifies : With New Filter Replacement 4,63L / Without New Filter 4,3L and the Setting is wrong (just brain storming sometimes it works :lol: )
Could it be that due to Set Service Times the Technician has no time to wait and double check the level, who knows.

I have attached just a cut & paste piece of information on the steps to follow and it does mention to double check, but wait for the motor to cool down. This might be too basic but take a look - Dave :D
Just out of interest I have checked my Service Documents and twice we have had the Oil & Filter changed and it states 4,6L Oil which corresponds with the above, without Filter were just Fillups with 0,3L added.
Daewar, as you stated it does mention to Fill Up !

https://www.milneroffroad.com/blog/how- ... ngine-oil/

6B3E66C8-60CB-4FA2-8767-5899BC3F2DC9.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

DAEWAR when you got your bill how much oil did they charge you for...
i was always taught to top up to the line and never let a car out without checking oil level we used to fill by a line into the oil store
bay like a air line but most garages get a 45 gallon drum of a oil type and grade that does most of the cars they stock and fill into a jug .....I tip i can say if your doing a d,i,y oil change and don't have a oil strap remove filter first in case the filter is too tight most people drain oil first then find filter is to tight......
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I had a similar issue where after a service I checked the level that day and it was quite a bit over the max. When I enquired, I was told they basically use a big jug marked to the correct level for the engine and pour it in, they don't check the dipstick.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Dave,

Great idea, but im moving house and everything is packed away. I will try to remember to dig out the paperwork in a week or two and see whats on the paperwork/
david sunderland wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:50 am DAEWAR when you got your bill how much oil did they charge you for...
i was always taught to top up to the line and never let a car out without checking oil level we used to fill by a line into the oil store
bay like a air line but most garages get a 45 gallon drum of a oil type and grade that does most of the cars they stock and fill into a jug .....I tip i can say if your doing a d,i,y oil change and don't have a oil strap remove filter first in case the filter is too tight most people drain oil first then find filter is to tight......
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I noticed that my oil level was about quarter of an inch below max after the last service.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Deleted User 3871

It is starting to look like this is normal practice.
PJB729 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm I noticed that my oil level was about quarter of an inch below max after the last service.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

As promised our QQ was Serviced (Major) today and had the Oil & Filter changed. Refering to the Invoice 4,63L of Oil was added & a new Filter installed just as specified by Nissan. I left the motor to cool down for 3 hour’s (had to watch football) and then tried to check it with the Dipstick what a task, to me it appears that the stick wipes down the side of the pipe and smears, but I could be wrong or is it overfilled ? - Dave :roll:

BEF014F1-C061-4BC0-8CAD-AB93FA08541F.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Dave..try removing the stick and leaving it out for a few hours so the tube drains of oil. then you get a reading on first dip i do mine and leave it across my seat so I don't forget I now check in the morning and as long as as i have a reading close to max ......as my drive has a slope. in it.....david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Dave, thanks that makes sense I’ll give it a try - Dave 😉