main dealer engine replacement

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I am having my engine replaced under warranty next Tuesday. Just wondering who else has had this done and what their experiences are? In 30 years of owning cars, never been through an engine replacement before.

Does the new engine from Nissan come with all the things like a new turbo already attached, or do they take everything off your old engine and reattach to the new? (They say everything will be new, but I take that with a pinch of salt).

My alternator/turbo are both getting noisier these days so would be nice to get new ones!

Would I still need to run-in the engine, or is it pre-run in at manufacture like a lot of modern engines?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

CHRIS Mark the items so you will know if they have been changed ...when running in its more important not too Labour the engine try to drive at 2000 +
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I would be very surprised if they replaced everything. I would expect it will just be the engine block and maybe the cylinder head that gets replaced. Anything else will be a bonus. Although it will depend on what is wrong with the original engine?

Modern engines do not need running it like the old days. It makes sense to take it easy though in the first few 100 miles. There is a lot of advice on the internet, especially about bedding in the piston rings by driving the car with a bit of a heavy foot, but not reving the engine to high.
chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:59 am I am having my engine replaced under warranty next Tuesday. Just wondering who else has had this done and what their experiences are? In 30 years of owning cars, never been through an engine replacement before.

Does the new engine from Nissan come with all the things like a new turbo already attached, or do they take everything off your old engine and reattach to the new? (They say everything will be new, but I take that with a pinch of salt).

My alternator/turbo are both getting noisier these days so would be nice to get new ones!

Would I still need to run-in the engine, or is it pre-run in at manufacture like a lot of modern engines?
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

As your car is a 14 plate, I would imagine most parts will have an amount of dirt, oil or corrosion on them that will make it fairly obvious they were replaced, but this can not be relied upon and as Dave says, it would be a good idea to mark items.
david sunderland wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:57 am CHRIS Mark the items so you will know if they have been changed ...when running in its more important not too Labour the engine try to drive at 2000 +
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 am I would be very surprised if they replaced everything. I would expect it will just be the engine block and maybe the cylinder head that gets replaced. Anything else will be a bonus. Although it will depend on what is wrong with the original engine?
Not really sure to be honest, it had a rattle in 2nd gear that the dealer diagnosed as timing chain tensioner, but told me it's just an annoying noise and not really a problem. As it's under the Cared4 warranty they had to get authorisation from Nissan to do the timing chain work and I was warned it may need examining by a Nissan technician before they authorise, but instead Nissan came straight back and told the dealer to put in a new engine!

It makes me wonder about the theory that has been mentioned many times that there was a bad batch of 2014 1.2 dig-Ts and that Nissan should really be recalling and replacing them all, but that would prove too costly and embarrassing so they just replace as and when they get one in for any engine-related issue.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Chris, totally agree with what has been mentioned here, but it really appears you do not know what you are actually going to get. I am not being funny but to me you have obviously made a large outlay on buying your QQ that is now becoming a “New Engine” but what are you actually now going to get ?
I would seriously push this subject with Nissan / Dealer and get it in “Black & White” what are you getting for example : a New Block with the Old Ancillaries or a complete New Engine with New Ancillaries, for me this would be important for the future and of course what is actually going to be covered by the “New Guarantee” from Nissan - Dave :)
PS would also suggest your Service Book is Stamped for History & when you Resell ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

That's exactly why I'm asking questions on here as to what to do, because up until 3 days ago it was just a timing chain tensioner replacement then I get this call out of the blue "oh we're giving you a new engine instead".

I just want the rattle in 2nd gear to go away!
paplane

Post by paplane »

Personally, I'd just let them get on with it and replace what parts of the engine they want to and think no more about it. You'll get the car back and it won't rattle, so job done. So what if the engine ancillaries are the original?

And when you eventually sell, I wouldn't even tell any new buyer that the engine's been replaced, for fear of raising any doubts in their minds as to if the car hadn't been looked after.
paplane

Post by paplane »

chrisw99 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:12 pm
Daewar wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:42 am I would be very surprised if they replaced everything. I would expect it will just be the engine block and maybe the cylinder head that gets replaced. Anything else will be a bonus. Although it will depend on what is wrong with the original engine?
It makes me wonder about the theory that has been mentioned many times that there was a bad batch of 2014 1.2 dig-Ts and that Nissan should really be recalling and replacing them all, but that would prove too costly and embarrassing so they just replace as and when they get one in for any engine-related issue.
Sounds a very plausible thoery.

I have always felt that the issue with these faulty 1.2 engines is blown completely out of proportion on this forum because a few bad experiences get talked about and noticed a lot.

How many 1.2's must there be on the road now? Tens of thousands I guess since 2014. I'd have a complete guess that there's been 250 duff engines?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

paplane wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:57 am Personally, I'd just let them get on with it and replace what parts of the engine they want to and think no more about it. You'll get the car back and it won't rattle, so job done. So what if the engine ancillaries are the original?

And when you eventually sell, I wouldn't even tell any new buyer that the engine's been replaced, for fear of raising any doubts in their minds as to if the car hadn't been looked after.
Just dropped it off and saw the job card, it's a full new engine, new turbocharger, the lot. Quite surprised really, but not complaining!