Engine swap after 23k miles. 65 plate QQ

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Duvall1976
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Duvall1976 »

Hello Everyone..

Well shes in the garage again for a Drive Chain replacement only to get a call to say good news your getting a new Engine, Nissan have covered this in your warranty, and it will be ready the car will be ready to collect on the 27th..

To say I was slightly shocked would be an understatement the car is less than 3 years! and it needs a new engine.. This model has been a headache since we picked it up last August. So far we have had..

New Glove box cover,
New Carpets due to Bulkhead not being sealed and water ingress like a waterfall into rear passenger foot well.
New Battery, Died New Years Eve!
Engine remapped twice
New Shock absorbers ordered due to heavy offside "clunk" when driving only to be cancelled as the body shop"tightened everything up" so the noise went.
and now, a New Engine.

SO

I contacted Nissan to see why and where I stood and they said well as a gesture of goodwill we will give you an limited cover extended 12 month warranty because your engine will only be covered until end of Jan 19 when manufacturers warranty expires..

I have no faith in the car, I don't believe that this engine will last another 20k miles. No idea what can be done, Nissan said if you accept this warranty extension then there will be no consumer comeback for a refund or exchange in the future... not sure how true this actually is..

Dealer mechanic who is doing the replacement has been sound, he said basically they will never admit to knowing that there is a problem but its known that the piston rings on this engine are not fit for the job, they are causing greater oil consumption and thus causing the drive chain to stretch, This is the "Poppeting" noise I hears at 2500 revs in every gear the same noise they said they had fixed doing the re map.. Twice over the course of the last year ownership.

Our last car was a 1.5NTec Diesel, we swapped to the petrol due to the DPF screwing up because it didn't complete it regenerate process and went, even after numerous clean outs it still failed, Petrol we thought would be the better option, but no.

This car has seriously damaged my faith in Nissan its a shame because the QQ is a great car, it has everything we need barr reliability...

If anyone else has the "poppeting" / Clicking noise around 2500 revs and its in warranty take it to your dealer, they know its a problem but Nissan UK will not admit it..

Id also like to ask has anyone had the problem come back if they had the BRAND NEW engine fitted as I am about too have..

All the best, sorry for the long post..

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I'm in the exact same boat, car going in tomorrow to have the engine replaced. Again like you it was down for a timing chain replacement waiting for authorisation, but Nissan came back and told the dealer to change the whole engine instead.

Fingers crossed whatever problem was present in the 2014/5 Euro 5 engines has now been fixed in the Euro 6 we should get.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Duvall1976

Post by Duvall1976 »

Hiya Chris,

Dealer mechanic said to me, They know its a piston ring problem so he would be stunned if they have not sourced a new supplier for the rings, did you get a new warranty from Nissan? if not call them up and ask for one because the new engine is only covered until the manufacturers warranty expires.. Good luck with it mate.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

The manufacturers warranty ran out back in October last year, I'm now into the 2 year Cared4 extended warranty.

Do you know if the new engine is a full new unit with new turbo, alternator, etc, already attached? I was told this when I asked, but I don't believe it till I see it.
m112

Post by m112 »

Duvall1976 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Dealer mechanic who is doing the replacement has been sound, he said basically they will never admit to knowing that there is a problem but its known that the piston rings on this engine are not fit for the job, they are causing greater oil consumption and thus causing the drive chain to stretch, This is the "Poppeting" noise I hears at 2500 revs in every gear the same noise they said they had fixed doing the re map.. Twice over the course of the last year ownership.

Have you had this noise even when stationary?

was it something like this
Duvall1976

Post by Duvall1976 »

no way near as bad that mate, mine was mainly noticeable at 2500 revs, in all gears. I am hoping that the new engine covers it for at least another two years before I get rid.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Mine was only noticeable in 2nd gear when revving hard.

Just dropped mine off at Nissan - the dealer had no explanation at all as to why Nissan GB overturned the timing chain replacement to offer a new engine. Their only guess was that occasionally Nissan like to take faulty engines back to tear down and analyse what went wrong.

Saw the job list - new turbocharger, everything, not just the engine.
Duvall1976

Post by Duvall1976 »

Hi Chris.

Have been told that the replacement parts are the The new long bare engine consists of sump, block, cylinder head and all internal parts.

All the ancillaries such as manifolds, flywheel, alternator, starter motor all get transferred over from last engine... Its got the extended Warranty so will be good until Jan 2020 if anything goes wrong on the swapped out parts..

Which I really really hope dont happen..
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Even more stranger why I'm getting the full monty when yours is still in the manufacturers warranty and mine is the extended Cared4. Something very fishy going on. I've raised a case with Nissan GB to ask why they've told my dealer to replace seemingly everything under the bonnet, without telling the dealer why. Not sure if they'll tell me but I can but ask..

Isn't the air con compressor one of the things run by the engine - does that mean if that gets taken off and re-attached to your new one, they'd have to drain the gas - free regas! Or can it stay a sealed system during engine replacement?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Duvall1976 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:35 pm Hello Everyone..

Well shes in the garage again for a Drive Chain replacement only to get a call to say good news your getting a new Engine, Nissan have covered this in your warranty, and it will be ready the car will be ready to collect on the 27th..

Did you get it back on the 27th? MIne wasn't ready last night as planned, they'd rather not rush such a complex job just to get it back to me by 5.30pm. I'm happy with that, it's such a complex job I want them to do it properly. I'll need a replacement car if not ready today though.