Hot weather issue with starting

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
horseyviv
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by horseyviv »

Hi all, not sure which section to post this in but here goes.

I've got a 63 plate diesel (1.6dCi stop-start) qashqai and have been experiencing starting issues in this very hot weather. Only happens when the car has been parked in full sun with very high temperatures. Haven't had the same issue if I've managed to park in partial or full sun, even on hotter days.

Message comes up in the display box between the rev counter and speedo, between the air temp and mileage displays - "Refer to dealer with a picture that looks like an oil can above it". Engine turns over but doesn't start.

I've called the dealer this morning who hasn't heard of this issue, car is going in next Wednesday for tests.

In the meantime has anyone on the board had the same/similar issue and, if so, what was the result/solution? Many thanks.
Last edited by horseyviv on Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I have never seen this warning light (between the dials).
Of course I see it in the rev counter dial when I switch the power on.
My owners manual says this is a low oil pressure warning.
No idea why that stops the car from starting (other than to protect the engine).
I would recommend checking the oil level as an absolute priority.

Also, what engine do you have in your car ?
Extra detail might help someone help you more quickly.

Good Luck
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
horseyviv

Post by horseyviv »

Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply, it certainly is an odd message and the person I spoke to at the dealer hadn't heard of it either. I'm sure that you are right that the not starting is something to do with protecting the engine. The engine is a 1.6dCi (I'll edit the original post).

Its definitely not the low oil warning light that is in the rev counter dial. The message (and oil can looking picture) is in the display between the two dials - where the fuel economy information is displayed. I have checked (and double checked) the oil level and it's perfectly ok. It has also been changed recently with recommended quality oil.

I'm wondering if it is something to do with a sensor not functioning correctly as the fault only happens when the car has been sitting in full sun in excessive heat. When I do find out I'll post the answer so that it might help someone else.
Llewsub

Post by Llewsub »

Hi, I have the same issue on my qashqai..... did you find out what the problem was in the end?