Engine knocking

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
dmwill65@gmail.com
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by dmwill65@gmail.com »

I bought the car from a reputable dealer called Evans Halshaw, who I guess bought it from auction. It has a full service history and I've used a Nissan dealer for the last two. It was such a great runner when we first bought it but it's gone downhill so quickly in the last 6 months.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I would get a second opinion, I really think they don't know what they are talking about. Big end knocking is not the sound your car makes, i would have thought it be a continuous sound getting louder with revs.
dmwill65@gmail.com wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:17 am Funny you should ask about the clutch shudder. I've noticed for a while that it does tend to shudder when pulling away in first and sometimes second. I've spoken to Nissan about the engine noise, and although I don't have an extended warranty, I have had it serviced at a main dealer so they've told me to get it in so they can diagnose the problem, and they say that they MIGHT be able to help with costs. This along with the recent news that my aircon compressor is leaking has just added another £600 onto the problem. I hope they take pity on me!
Thanks for the comments guys.
Dave
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:24 am I would get a second opinion, I really think they don't know what they are talking about. Big end knocking is not the sound your car makes, i would have thought it be a continuous sound getting louder with revs.
Check youtube, this is what big end bearing knocking sounds like .

As Daewar said, it's a continuous knock...

Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
dmwill65@gmail.com

Wow, that Scooby has it bad!
The technician mentioned it would either be the big end or something to do with diesel knock?
I assumed it was the former because it needs a new engine.
I'm getting a full report on the issue later when Nissan phone me back.
I'll update then.
Cheers
Dave
Deleted User 3871

Sounds like someone is using a jack hammer to break the road up or someone forgot to put some oil in the engine.
chrisw99 wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:35 pm
Check youtube, this is what big end bearing knocking sounds like .

As Daewar said, it's a continuous knock...

dmwill65@gmail.com

Well, it's been confirmed as a main bearing/big end malfunction and will cost £6.5k to replace.
I bought the car from a large UK dealer but it wasn't a Nissan one.
Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, what was the outcome of your experience?
Deleted User 3871

dude, who confirmed the fault? It would probably require the bottom of the engine to be removed to check the wear? which I would doubt?

Also you dont need a new engine, it can be refitted with new bearing shells with a bit of luck.

dmwill65@gmail.com wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:07 pm Well, it's been confirmed as a main bearing/big end malfunction and will cost £6.5k to replace.
I bought the car from a large UK dealer but it wasn't a Nissan one.
Has anyone had this happen to them and if so, what was the outcome of your experience?