TB EM 15/05 - 1.2 Petrol DIG-T Engine Oil Loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Slioch
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

TB EM 15/05 - 1.2 Petrol DIG-T Engine Oil Loss

Post by Slioch » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:20 pm

For all 1.2 DIG-T petrol engine owners.

Nissan will not release this technical bulletin as it is dated December 2015 and shows that they were aware that certain 1.2 DIG-T petrol engines were manufactured with a known defect.

TB EM 01.jpg

TB EM 02.jpg

TB EM 03.jpg

Last edited by Slioch on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.


Slioch
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Re: TB EM 15/05 Regarding Engine Oil Loss

Post by Slioch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:17 am



DaveBerlin
Posts: 5029
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:39 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: TB EM 15/05 Regarding Engine Oil Loss

Post by DaveBerlin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am

Slioch, I have read the other post with your correspondence from Nissan NCS and it really looks like you are up against a Brick Wall with what I would call a “Major Known Problem”.
Ours is a 14 Model and as yet we have had absolutely No problems with the motor or oil - Thank God we are lucky !
Many Thanks for posting these facts because I am sure a lot of members will be running out and checking that No. on the Windscreen, I did and ours appears OK, where the * * idents are we have a Letter.
Lets hope you get things sorted whether through Nissan or with the help of a Lawyer. I cannot understand in these sort of circumstances that the Motoring or National Press do not jump on this, naturally if informed - Dave :)
2014/08 1.2L DIG-T QQ Tekna QAB Pearl White (M)/Premium Pack Chrome /Style Pack Chrome/Cross Over Pack Front/Rear Pearl White/Auto-Fold Mirrors Chromed/Shark Fin Antenna/Bonnet Struts/LED's Innen,Footwell,No.Plate/White & Chrome Side Mouldings/Webasto


User avatar
Gel
Posts: 2736
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 12:02 pm
Location: Thames Valley UK
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: TB EM 15/05 Regarding Engine Oil Loss

Post by Gel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 am

Good find; you perhaps should adjust your SUBJECT HEADING to include 1.2, DigT so more people will COMPREHEND /click on it.
J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna; Chrome Pack, Bonnet Struts, Flaps, Blue Alloygators, SpeedLock,Door & Tailgate Sill guards/Decent horns/ Autoglym Lifeshine /19" Wheels


User avatar
gloucester
Posts: 683
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:04 am

Re: TB EM 15/05 Regarding Engine Oil Loss in 1.2Dig-T

Post by gloucester » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 am

Well my number was SJNFEAJ11U1416733 and thus it falls within the affected range.

Perhaps it was reprogrammed before I bought it in March 2106?

Certainly I didn't see any significant drop in oil level or any other symptoms and I didn't have to put any oil in between services - though I didn't do a high mileage.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07


Slioch
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Re: TB EM 15/05 Regarding Engine Oil Loss in 1.2Dig-T

Post by Slioch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:02 pm

gloucester wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 am
Well my number was SJNFEAJ11U1416733 and thus it falls within the affected range.

Perhaps it was reprogrammed before I bought it in March 2106?

Certainly I didn't see any significant drop in oil level or any other symptoms and I didn't have to put any oil in between services - though I didn't do a high mileage.
I think the issue is that depending on certain circumstances, different symptoms can occur. With us there was little or no oil loss but something to do with excessive piston ring wear. Once identified Nissan had no option but to replace the engine. Our vehicle has done 23,000 miles so maybe that was a factor. It could be that you haven't done enough mileage yet for an issue to occur. I would watch though because once March 2019 comes around and your warranty expires then Nissan may very well ask you to cough up for a new engine. According to Dickson's of Inverness a new engine comes in at roughly £5,000 and that's without fitting it. I would also say that the service manager there told us that in the last 12 months Dickson's have replaced 13 engines and 6 of these were exactly the same as ours.


Slioch
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Re: TB EM 15/05 Regarding Engine Oil Loss

Post by Slioch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:11 pm

Gel wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 am
Good find; you perhaps should adjust your SUBJECT HEADING to include 1.2, DigT so more people will COMPREHEND /click on it.
I have altered the heading.

People need to know that Nissan are aware of the problem but still letting people buy cars with these engines i them.

Below is a link to an article in the Gaurdian dated 28 January 2018. We have since learned that Nissan make people sign silencing agreements when they come to a resolution with the customer. We queried this with Nissan who denied such agreements were in place. What they don't know is that we have proof and evidence that they do exist.

Nissan will do anything they can to worm their way out of a situation and that includes blatantly lying about things.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... l-problems


Slioch
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Re: TB EM 15/05 Regarding Engine Oil Loss

Post by Slioch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:19 pm

DaveBerlin wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:41 am
Slioch, I have read the other post with your correspondence from Nissan NCS and it really looks like you are up against a Brick Wall with what I would call a “Major Known Problem”.
Ours is a 14 Model and as yet we have had absolutely No problems with the motor or oil - Thank God we are lucky !
Many Thanks for posting these facts because I am sure a lot of members will be running out and checking that No. on the Windscreen, I did and ours appears OK, where the * * idents are we have a Letter.
Lets hope you get things sorted whether through Nissan or with the help of a Lawyer. I cannot understand in these sort of circumstances that the Motoring or National Press do not jump on this, naturally if informed - Dave :)
Hi Dave and thank god your vehicle appears to be okay.

We have contacted the press and one at least wishes more information on the matter. The Motoring Ombudsman has also been involved and we need to send out more information to them.

This problem seems to be so wide scale and i think that is why Nissan are burying their head in the sand over it. Should it come to light that they need to recall then it would cost them a fortune. My personal opinion is that as its not a safety issue then they think they can get away with it. I also think that they are hoping that a small percentage of vehicles are involved in collisions resulting in write offs and people not doing enough miles during the warranty period for the engine to develop the fault. Either way they are hedging their bets that they can someone minimise the amount of money that they have to lay out to repair these engines.


DaveBerlin
Posts: 5029
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:39 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: TB EM 15/05 - 1.2 Petrol DIG-T Engine Oil Loss

Post by DaveBerlin » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:22 pm

Slioch, ref the comment from Gloucester and his number, that is why I mentioned the ** within the number. Ours is then also questionable it is SJNFEAJ11U1159734 or are we misunderstanding the number system ? If this number system is consecutive then we are talking of 572965 engines, is this really the case ?, because then Nissan do have a really big problem - Dave :roll:
2014/08 1.2L DIG-T QQ Tekna QAB Pearl White (M)/Premium Pack Chrome /Style Pack Chrome/Cross Over Pack Front/Rear Pearl White/Auto-Fold Mirrors Chromed/Shark Fin Antenna/Bonnet Struts/LED's Innen,Footwell,No.Plate/White & Chrome Side Mouldings/Webasto


Slioch
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Re: TB EM 15/05 - 1.2 Petrol DIG-T Engine Oil Loss

Post by Slioch » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:40 pm

DaveBerlin wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:22 pm
Slioch, ref the comment from Gloucester and his number, that is why I mentioned the ** within the number. Ours is then also questionable it is SJNFEAJ11U1159734 or are we misunderstanding the number system ? If this number system is consecutive then we are talking of 572965 engines, is this really the case ?, because then Nissan do have a really big problem - Dave :roll:
Hi Dave

I'm not sure how the number system works so cannot comment on it but what i will say is that Dickson's of Inverness are a small garage in a city of 70,000 people. When we spoke to the service manager saying that 13 engines in a year at his garage and 240 Nissan garages in the UK then that works out at a hell of a lot of problems, he just looked at us as if to say ....yip. He was also a fault finding technician with Renault for years and was really knowledgeable about the problem. It appears that not all 1.2 DIG-T engines were affected as it depended on were the engines were made. He basically said a certain factory producing 1.2 DIG-T engines used a different manufacturer for the piston ring components than another. So it ultimately might be where your vehicle engine was made that decides if a fault will develop. Hope that makes sense.

Ali


Post Reply

Return to “Engine & Drivetrain”