Coolant loss

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Richaud
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Richaud »

Hi all... first post and I'm writing from Sweden... the QQ is a quite common car but not as in the UK making faulty ones a bit more harder to find...

My 2013 is loosing coolant. Started 2 years ago and then was caused by a broken egr cooler.. sucked coolant in when hot. But ever since then it's slowly drinking coolant.. seems to be a escalating problem a now approx .5 litres in 10000 km.earlier the garage say they can't find out why.. put some glowing traces element in the company that would show in engine oil... and nothing... my suspection is that it's sucked in in the combustion but no tell of white smoke.. anyone here been in similar pos? No sludge in oilfiller CAP and no signs of crap in expansionbottle.. not wet inside car either. Can you measure coolant in the exhaust in some way?

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Its not enough water consumption to make the car smoke excesivly. Annoying, but for me I would not worry to much, your only loosing a little amount of coolant and it looks like this is going to be hard to trace.
Roddie1952
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Roddie1952 »

Have you eliminated the possibility of a faulty cap on the expansion tank? If it opens at too low a pressure water will be expelled.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I thought of this one, but there would usually be some dried coolant around the cap. Any decent mechanic would realise this.
Roddie1952 wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:12 pm Have you eliminated the possibility of a faulty cap on the expansion tank? If it opens at too low a pressure water will be expelled.