Cost to diagnose fault

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Terryteabag

Post by Terryteabag »

Just been quoted £118-80 for my garage to look at reason for engine management symbol being displayed. Just had its 3 year service at 30000 miles 2 weeks ago. Mileage now 30545. Had the usual recall work including new battery and replacement sensors done a while ago. Otherwise been going well. I guess this is a standard charge for Nissan dealership but just thought I would check on the forum.
Regards to all
Terry
July 2015 1.6 dCi Tekna 130 Xtronic Gun Metallic

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Personally I think that’s daylight robbery! Running a diagnostic check should be no more than a 15minute job. For what you’ve been quoted I would expect it to be diagnosed, fixed and valeted ready for your collection.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

If just out of warranty I'd raise with Nissan Customer Service.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Terryteabag

Post by Terryteabag »

Thanks for your quick replies. Agree with both. I think the diagnostic check price is much too high. Just possible they could find something to do with the recent service, but I will consider raising it with Nissan Customer Service.
They can't fit it in until 31st so will post the result on forum when fixed.
Terry
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, could not agree more with comments from Gvmdaddy & Gel they have been around for some time on this Forum like me and these sort of points come often. QQ is just out of Guarantee and Bang a fault pops up, you would think that the Dealers or even Nissan would give a little Leeway to Customers “Just” outside of their Guarantee Period.
I would recommend not only phoning but emailing NCS so they have it in “Black & White” and then when you speak they have the facts. Normally you will get a NCS number and a return mail the same day. Be careful when you call because what I have found over here is that there are “Call Centre” people and what I now ask for is the so called “Back Room” people which appear to be so called “Quality” people who apparently have more access to the Technical people. But I must say on my last conversation on the “Hands Free” subject I had the Handset slammed down on me - Customer Service :lol: - Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I don't leave home without my £5 bluetooth obd2 dongle and various android apps on my phone, mainly use Torque. With these I can scan ecu error codes and clear if necessary.
Ink Blue J11B Tekna 1.2 Dig-T with Glass Roof
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

When I had the issue with the timing chain rattle recently, I booked into Westway Nissan and the diagnostic cost was £50. (and they waived this at the end of the day when it was realised I needed the new engine).

You can buy an OBD2 gadget off ebay for a few quid, plug it in and look at what the error code is yourself anywa.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Terryteabag

Post by Terryteabag »

Got the car back yesterday.
Invoice confirms O2 sensor replaced. Car running fine and EML no longer on.
Took Daves advice about e-mailing Nissan and would reccomend this to all. Several replies (kept using same e-mail copy) so had a good record of progress. Several calls from Nissan Customer Service . Felt they listened to my case for full support and pleased to report they covered the full cost.
Interesting to be told if the car is out of warranty (2 days in my case) the dealer should register a claim which is automatically turned down due to the expiry date of the warranty. So a friendly but clear e-mail for support appears to be the way to go.
If you don't try you don't get !
Regards to all
Terry
trout

Post by trout »

Well done Terry nice to hear a happy outcome.
S.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Terry, good to hear it all worked out for you, Black and White (+photos) is the way to go and then you have the follow on paperwork as proof and reference. I must say that Germany is the “Land of Paperwork” it is a pain :roll: but in this sort of case it works, although I have never had so many paper files in my life, but you just get into the habit - Dave :lol:
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken