CVT gearbox - What's normal

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
sb3284
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by sb3284 »

Hi!

I'm the happy owner of an QQ 2018 Dig-T 115 w/ CVT gearbox. From reading on this forum I've understood that the CVT gearbox sometimes does not work well and that surprisingly many owners have had their replaced under warranty. Some even multiple times. It also seems that the dealerships/garages does not really know how it's supposed to work and act when driving.

For example I've seen a lot of threads about "jerking" and it seems many are not really getting help. The problems may be small (in the beginning ofc) and the dealership/garage simply says "that's a characteristic - not a fault" because they don't know. For another example, I've asked without a good answer (and there's a lot of discussions here on the forum about it) whether the CVT really should "coast".

That's why I'm creating this thread. Simply so that we can know what to count as normal and what's not. And those of you who have had problems fixed or talked about problems with your dealer etc - please tell us about the symptoms and what was replaced and/or what you where told.

Please share your CVT-experiences!

---

I'll start:
QQ 2018 1.2 Dig-T 115 w/ CVT
Only 2k miles
No jerking what so ever
Always "coasts" when driving below 20mph
Spontaneously "coasts" in higher speeds
Uses gasoline while engine-breaking downhill (fuel-consumption seen in trip computer, CVT in "manual mode", low speeds)
Does simulate "gears" during harder acceleration

---

And finally sorry about any weird English, It's not my native langue, I'm Swedish!

Huntsman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Huntsman »

To follow on from your thread,. I have a 1.2 CVT and I love it. As with yours, no jerking, happy at 20mph, coasts in higher speeds.Not sure about your next statement but does simulate gears in high acceleration. Ocassionally, when cold it does increase the revs from about 1500 to 2000 but is not a problem and this only happens about once a trip so I assume it maybe because it is warming up.

All told, it is a fantastic car. (So far)
QQ/J11B - 2020 1.3 Dig-T 160 DCT N-Connecta , Ink Blue. 19" alloys
Prev. QQ/J11 - 2015 1.2 Dig-T Tekna, Storm White. 19" alloys.
DD41

Post by DD41 »

And to follow on my 1.2 CVT had from new 4 mls now 5,000 mls Cvt bang on every time never missed a beat yet :) we do love each other thou :roll:
19 plate X Trail 1.3 DIG-T DCT Tekna Gun metal grey + led kick plates + footwell lights + Chrome lower boot finsher
16plate 1.2 DigtT cvt Tekna ink blue pan roof chome pack/ protection pack / chrome sill protectors / Nissan mud flaps/Spare wheel