DPF Advice

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
stubrookes
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by stubrookes »

Hi Folks,

Hoping to get some advice. My wife has a 61 plate Nissan Qashqai +2, about 55k mileage.

We recently went went on hols, but drove through France and onto Spain. On the 3rd day, going up a hill, we lost all power - and when I popped the bonnet, it was evident the Turbo Hose had gone and leaked everywhere. Replaced the turbo hose (at a cost of €250) and within 1/2 hour, the car went into limp mode and the DPF light came on. I tried to do a forced re-gen but it was having none of it.

Went back to the French garage, which in fairness was a Bosch Diesel Garage and upon 2nd inspection, he said the DPF was clogged/full as a result of the turbo hose leak. The RAC warned us in advance that apparently DPFs in France are ridiculously expensive, like €2.5k - I thought they were setting us up for the worst... Fortunately, the garage did an Acid Bath Clean on the DPF and it fixed it - we then drove back to the UK without any further problems.

My question - a friend of mine has said we should consider selling the Qashqai +2 now, as he reckons once the DPF problems start, they're likely to happen again.

Anyone got any experience or opinion? Is it one of those things that could become an intermittent issue or should the acid bath clean have effectively made it 'like new' again?

Bgmick

Post by Bgmick »

The only reason you had a dpf issue was the split boost hose you didn't have an issue prior to this

But it all depends if the French mechanic done a good job on the cleaning
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci
Bgmick

Post by Bgmick »

That said you are not in France any more so you can pic up a new dpf fairly reasonably priced (aftermarket) or second hand oe (if you want to take a gamble) should it fail again , weigh that up against price for newer car / loss of value on trade in.

I would do neither I would just drive it see how it feels , if I got a warning light later on then take it from there than splurging money on a theory
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I concur with Bgmick. You mention trying to do a forced regen on the dpf, how did you do that, as I thought it had to be done by a garage using software on a laptop or such like?
stubrookes

Post by stubrookes »

Cheers bgmick - it drove back from just north of Lyon to Worcester without any issues, no power problems, good pull. The French garage soaked it for about 36 in the acid bath after dismantling it... Glad to hear you don’t think it will be an issue now.

gvmdaddy - by forced regen, I mean I tired to do a blast down a French toll road at high revs, but couldn’t get enough speed up to even get close to 2.5k revs.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

You dont need to blast down a motorway to clean your dpf drop down your gears to suit the speed of the road your on .... 3000 rpm in any gear like 3rd or 4 th will get the engine hot to trigger the cleaner and if all fails TERRACLLEAN will sort it out before the expense of a new dpf but to help keep it clean drive at over 2000 rpm so engine is working and not just coasting along.......david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car