Turbo oil leak with P0299 error code.

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Sandystew
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Sandystew »

Good Morning,
I was wondering if anyone could lend me some assistance as myself and a car dealer have been scratching our heads for several months.
I purchased a Nissan Qashqai Accenta 1.5dci 2013,in March of this year. Mileage is currently at 75.000. Three weeks after purchase the red engine management light appeared. I contacted the dealer and they swiftly replaced the turbo selanoid. A few weeks later the light appeared again, under similar conditions, travelling at speed, in sixth gear and I believe a slight incline. However, the car did not go into limp mode. The dealer took the car again and replaced the boost sensor. Several weeks later the red engine light appears again. This time I check the turbo itself and notice a large amount of oil on the engine cover directly below and several drops on the turbo itself. I informed the dealer once more and they checked for themselves, they didn't have any concerns, reset the light, and informed me to contact them in the event of it reappearing. Surfice to say, five days later it appeared again, with the p0299 error code as it has before.
So sorry for the long post....... :roll:
On contacting the dealer, he found evidence of no software update being performed in 2016, when there was an advisory recall. Hoping for this to be the solution, it was booked in at Nissan, the software update executed fine, but they noticed the oil from the turbo and advised a turbo and Air intake replacement.
Obviously the dealer wants to inspect this for himself and resolve any issues.
After this long post, I am asking if anyone believes it to be a failing turbo, bearing in mind that it doesn't whine and the car is pretty much behaving what I presume to be normal. It has never gone into limp mode, doesn't have any blue or white smoke at all. However, I am losing oil when I keep checking the dip stick.
There does appear to be a small amount of oil in the intercooler pipe above the engine and I have checked the crankcase breather for any blockages. It seems to be clear. Air filter is also new, as is oil filter.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated and once again, I apologise for the rather long post.

Kindest regards