Qashqai Automatic Gearbox Issues

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
JJackson
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by JJackson »

Hi, I'd love to hear where some of you have gotten with this issue. I have a 2013 Qashquai (out of warranty) and the car has had issues with slowing and stalling and I've finally just been to the dealer today and they've said there is a failure with the gearbox. I asked about Nissan replacing it and was told that they will make a claim on my behalf but it is unlikely Nissan will cover the costs because I haven't been "loyal" and getting my service with them every year. How on earth loyalty of where I service the car has anything to do with a clearly flawed gearbox and replacing it is beyond me! Would really appreciate hearing what people have done to get it replaced by Nissan and would be very happy to help in raising awareness of this as an issue if Nissan are planning on doing nothing! Their brand team should be concerned....

matty88

Post by matty88 »

I've posted previously on this issue. Basically I have a Qashqai 1.6dci Tekna X-tronic CVT, bought it from 2nd hand a few years ago.

To start, there is no question the gearbox is not the best - it has always been jerky and has a mind of it's own, behaves unpredictably etc. Recently, when at lower speeds - especially slowing down, it has suddenly jerked and felt like the car is almost stalling (like its lost a gear or something). This only happens sporadically but it is definitely un-nerving as it makes the car brake/slow down suddenly. I have an 18 month old toddler and I don't like the thought of this happening and potentially causing an accident with her in the back.

The car's now down around 75000 miles, so at least it's not been a catastrophe. I ideally need it to last another couple of years before chopping it in so will see how it goes. The one thing that has given me slight peace of mind is I have heard Nissan tend to contribute to any gearbox failures as long as the car has been serviced by them. Fortunately, mine has, and although it's pricey I believe this to be a no brainer if you have a CVT!

Its good to know Nissan have axed the CVT and introduced the DCT transmission - if it wasn't for the rubbish CVT box it would be a decent enough car. Would I trust in another Nissan again after this experience though? Probably not it has to be said. That's not to say other car manufacturers are any better though...... my last car was a VW and I had even more issues with that!! Hmm... maybe Toyota?!
Marthomfam

Post by Marthomfam »

We have a 2015 quashqai automatic which has done only 17,000 miles which broke down last week and we have been told by the Nissan dealership where we bought it that the gearbox needs to be replaced and the cost will be £5000. It has been serviced twice but not by a Nissan dealership. I’m just about to contact Nissan to see if we can get any financial help towards the repairs.... any advice greatly appreciated!!!!
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

I have absolutely no connection with this firm and only saw it the other day but you never know - it might work...

http://vmtp-midlands.co.uk/382-2/
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Again I have no knowledge of this firm and they're describing a different issue, but clearly they have CVT experience and may be able to assist.

https://www.stephensengineering.co.uk/n ... -repaired/
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Tomik2013
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Tomik2013 »

I have also have similar problem with my Nissan Qashqai 2013
Nickball82

Post by Nickball82 »

Hi,
I wondered if anyone can help. My Qashqai is an automatic 2014 with about 30 0000 on the clock. It has started to jump around and in the wrong gear. It even stalled the other day.

I have the parts insured with a company. The mechanics at Nissan said it does not produce an error when they hook it up to the computer but can recognise there is a problem when they drive it. The insurance company won't do anything until the fault is diagnosed.

Could anyone help?
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum

All I can suggest is have a good read of the various related topics on here
ChrisDK

Post by ChrisDK »

Bought my 1.2 CVT new in may 16, it was fine for the first 18 months.

Slow down to almost crawl then accelerate away and it can't decide what to do for the first second so shudders, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot.

Had a few software updates that help for a week or two.

Have been complaining for 2 years and Nissan say it's normal.

I was intending to keep the car for around 8 years but now I've had enough and it's being replaced this weekend with another brand.

2016 1.2 DIG-T Tekna Magnetic Red
Bazzer
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Bazzer »

We have a 2013 1.6 automatic Quashqai N-tec with 47000 miles on the clock. We have recently experienced a problem with the gearbox shuddering when pulling away in low gear. We took it to the Nissan Dealer and they have found metal filings in the gear oil and they suspect internal failure of them CVT gearbox and a replacement required a cost of £7500. Any advice you could offer us would be very welcome.