Problem starting after stood for 2 weeks

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
RVW

Post by RVW »

Searched forum with no results so a question.
My 1.5 DCI Tekna has been stood for 2 weeks without being moved or started. Went to it this morning to take to tyre man for some rubber boots and pressed the start button ignition came on mirrors unfolded, starter engaged and the engine just turned over and over. Nothing else happened. So turned it off, waited a minute or so tried again. The same again engine turned over but did not fire. So again switched off left it for about 5 minutes. Again switched on pressed button engine turned over and after 30 / 40 seconds it reluctantly fired but was very lumpy. Eventually it came back to life. Has been OK since so completely baffled.
The only thing I came come up with is lack of fuel. There was just under a quarter of a tank. It seemed as if the fuel had drained back into the tank. The only other explanation would be the stop/start solenoid is faulty.
Anyone come across this before?
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red

trout
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by trout »

Not sure a low tank would cause it, there’s either fuel there or not, perhaps a faulty non return valve in the pump?
I often have a car at the airport for two weeks but it’s never been a problem on return.
S.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

It has been mentioned in the early days of the forum some 4 years back. I seem to remember someone saying there was a non return valve in the fuel line, possibly near the fuel filter. this may have gummed up and be allowing the diesel to flow back towards the tank. If it happens again there is a rubber bulb on the fuel line under the bonnet, give this a good few pumps to draw the fuel through.
RVW

Post by RVW »

trout wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:10 pm Not sure a low tank would cause it, there’s either fuel there or not, perhaps a faulty non return valve in the pump?
I often have a car at the airport for two weeks but it’s never been a problem on return.
S.
First time it has happened car is approx 2 1/2 yrs old had it from new. Think it a stealer visit whilst it’s still under warranty.
RVW

Post by RVW »

gvmdaddy wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:11 pm It has been mentioned in the early days of the forum some 4 years back. I seem to remember someone saying there was a non return valve in the fuel line, possibly near the fuel filter. this may have gummed up and be allowing the diesel to flow back towards the tank. If it happens again there is a rubber bulb on the fuel line under the bonnet, give this a good few pumps to draw the fuel through.
Thanks.
What would cause it to gum up? Never had this happen in all the years of motoring , and that a few🙃
I also have a Mini Clubman D had it 10 years now. Use same fuel suppliers as the Qashqai. The Mini can stand for 3/4 weeks and never been any trouble. Me thinks there is trouble at mill waiting
Bgmick
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Bgmick »

Have read on here and the other forum the 1.5 priming bulbs crack and leak allowing air in the system requiring the bulb to be pumped untill hard for normal starting.
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci
Bgmick

Post by Bgmick »

Tho they were older are if I remember correctly but same symptoms so next time try the priming bulb if it's soft it's letting air in would be my guess
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci
Bgmick

Post by Bgmick »

http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/qq-2010- ... sel+filter

Might be a good place to start , your leak may be a lot smaller not being a problem yet till a longer time lying stationary
2013 jj10 4wd 1.6 dci
RVW

Post by RVW »

Thanks will take a look.