CV boot replacement

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
warch

Post by warch »

Hi, has anyone done a CV boot replacement on a Qashqai? Both my inner cv boots have cracked and need doing. Basically are there any hints or tips anyone might recommend or special tools required to separate the joint?
2007, Qashqai, J10, 1.6 petrol
2011, Qashqai, J11, 1.2 dig petrol

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

You need to update your forum signature specifying precise type of QQ you have (J10, 11a etc), and age.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
warch

Post by warch »

Its my 2007 1.6 petrol.
warch

Post by warch »

Seeing as no one got back to me, I went ahead and did this job anyway. Is there anywhere I can put a guide for doing this?
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Post it in here?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Warch, it looks like you are the “Leader” on this subject as there are not a lot of facts around I did look. As Gloucester mentioned just “Post it here”, just put the facts down step by step as best you can, if you have taken photos post them also. Whatever facts you have I am sure members would appreciate the them as this is a help for the DIY members for the future and after all that is part of what a Forum is about - Thanks ! go for it Dave 😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
warch

Post by warch »

Guide to driveshaft removal/CV boot replacement. This work was carried out on a J10 petrol Qashqai, to remove the n/s driveshaft in order to fit a new inner CV boot. This is quite a straightforward job, if rather messy. In additional to normal sockets and spanners you will need; 32mm socket (I used a ring spanner) for the drive nut, a 24mm socket for the gearbox filler plug, balljoint splitter, boot clip pliers and circlip pliers. You will also need a small quantity (1ltr) of gearbox oil (75-80w iirc).

1. Jack up and support car safely them remove roadwheel.

2. Remove split pin from drive shaft stub then loosen 32mm hub nut. Get someone to apply the brakes to do this.
Refit the nut and tap the driveshaft to separate it from the hub splines.

3. Remove 16mm nut on steering arm, separate joint. Remove 18mm nut from pinch bolt on lower ball joint and remove bolt (should tap out) and separate the joint. You will now be able to pull the hub clear of the driveshaft end and push to one side.

4. It is worth loosening the gearbox filler plug at this stage, located above the n/s driveshaft cup and to the left of it.

5. The best method to release the drive shaft itself is to hold it level, grasping the long section inboard of the outer joint, push it in then pull it out sharply. The shaft can now be removed. Don't forget to place a tray under the gearbox to catch the excess oil. You should replace the driveshaft oil seal at this point.

6. Inspect both inner and outer boots whilst they are off the car. The inner was badly split and deteriorated, the outer looked quite new, so I decided to just do the inner boot. To replace the boot I cut the remaining rubber off then removed the wire clip retaining the inner joint in the cup. The joint can now be slid out, dripping grease everywhere hopefully, a dry joint will be knackered and in need of replacement. Clean the end of the shaft where it enters the cup to reveal the circlip retaining the joint. Remove circlip and slide the joint off the splines.

7. Loose fit outer clip (the smaller one) to the boot and slide over the shaft into the correct position. Slide snap ring onto the shaft, then refit the joint and circlip. Grease the joint using cv joint grease then slide the cup onto the joint, retaining it with the wire snap ring. Place the remainder of the cv joint grease in the cup. Push rubber boot onto cup and loose fit inner clip. Tighten both boot clips using the clip pliers.

8. To replace the driveshaft, fit it onto the gearbox output splines with the retaining clip facing downwards (so the gap in the ring is at the bottom). Hold it level and tap the outer end of the driveshaft to drive it home. Make sure you don't damage the shaft by refitting the hub nut and hammering against this. Refit driveshaft outer onto hub splines (the splines need to go together straight), and gently rotate the driveshaft until the splines align with each other. Refit hub nut and split pin.

9. Refit lower suspension arm, refit pinch bolt and steering arm joint and nut. Top up gearbox oil level then replace and tighten filler plug. Check tightness of all bolts then refit wheel.

I think that's it, sorry for the lack of photos, it was pretty wet when I did it and my hands were very greasy so I didn't want to get it all over my camera. Should take about 2-3hrs.
Avagogal
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Avagogal »

I've been waiting for help to do the inner boot on my Qashqai but it's been weeks so decided to take on the job myself. It's messy but I've managed. I'm by no means a mechanic and have had to learn a bit quick so I can get my car back on the road. The only thing left to do is to refit it and top gear box oil but your description is spot on
QashqaiSilver
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by QashqaiSilver »

Avagogal wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:43 pm I've been waiting for help to do the inner boot on my Qashqai but it's been weeks so decided to take on the job myself. It's messy but I've managed. I'm by no means a mechanic and have had to learn a bit quick so I can get my car back on the road. The only thing left to do is to refit it and top gear box oil but your description is spot on
It could be done without losing gearbox oil. Although if the oil has been in there from factory, it makes sense to change it. I did that when I changed my inner cv boots, drained out the gearbox and put new fluid in.

The guide above in post by 'WARCH' is good. Although if you are doing the car on your own, to remove driveshaft nut, just take the centre cap off the wheel (with the wheel off) and remove the split pin. Put the car back on the ground with the wheel on and handbrake on, it then loosen the driveshaft nut.
If you have an air/electric impact wrench then it would come off without having to faff around.

If you do not want gearbox oil out or having to renew that snap ring. Then undo the jubilee type clip or clamp on inner cv joint, then peel the gaitor back and remove the triangular clip, this would then allow you to remove the whole driveshaft with inner tripod and leaving the inner cv joint in the transmission.

Also be weary of many non genuine CV joint pack, they do not supply enough grease. They give you around 50g and it is around 115g to 140g needed. Unless you dont bother to clean out the old grease.

Also it is easier to remove the shock absorber to spindle carrier bolts than the lower arm pinch bolt which can be a nightmare to remove if seized up or also risk damaging the ball joint cover.
J10, 2008, 1.6 petrol, Acenta