Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
m112
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by m112 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello,

It appears that my QQ makes a strange noise when accelerating around 2k. Its like a flapping noise.

It only happens around between 2k-2.5k when the engine is cold. It doesnt happen when stationary.

Its not a usual turbo whistling noise its rather someing flapping. Most noticable on the second gear.

I've checked forum's old posts but couldnt find anything similar.

Any ideas?

Cheers


chrisw99
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by chrisw99 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:42 pm

Could be the timing chain hitting the tensioner surround - could be the well known problem with the oil loss. Have you been checking your dipstick regularly?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T


m112
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:23 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by m112 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:27 pm

yes, oil is not a problem.

I think if this would be the case it would also happen when the car is stationary - but it doesnt


chrisw99
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by chrisw99 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 pm

mine didn't.

only ever got the noise in 2nd gear about 2000 rpm when pulling away.

2000rpm stationary is completely different to 2000rpm driving as it's all about engine load.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T


CrashQai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–present)

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by CrashQai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:43 pm

chrisw99 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 pm
mine didn't.

only ever got the noise in 2nd gear about 2000 rpm when pulling away.

2000rpm stationary is completely different to 2000rpm driving as it's all about engine load.
Hello. I think I'm having this same issue (I describe in detail in this post viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7202&p=60671#p60671). May I ask, am I understanding correctly that you confirmed the cause to be the timing chain hitting the tensioner surround? And you got that fixed? Did nissan repair it under the warranty? TIA


chrisw99
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by chrisw99 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am

CrashQai wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:43 pm
chrisw99 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:02 pm
mine didn't.

only ever got the noise in 2nd gear about 2000 rpm when pulling away.

2000rpm stationary is completely different to 2000rpm driving as it's all about engine load.
Hello. I think I'm having this same issue (I describe in detail in this post viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7202&p=60671#p60671). May I ask, am I understanding correctly that you confirmed the cause to be the timing chain hitting the tensioner surround? And you got that fixed? Did nissan repair it under the warranty? TIA
Yeah, the whole engine was replaced under warranty!
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T


CrashQai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–present)

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by CrashQai » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

chrisw99 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am
Yeah, the whole engine was replaced under warranty!
So I took mine in yesterday, and they want to replace my engine too. 25%+ difference between the pressure in the cylinders apparently. Just need to wait for the engine to be ordered in (a week or two they reckon). I take it yours was fine with the new engine?


chrisw99
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by chrisw99 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:36 pm

CrashQai wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm
chrisw99 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:52 am
Yeah, the whole engine was replaced under warranty!
So I took mine in yesterday, and they want to replace my engine too. 25%+ difference between the pressure in the cylinders apparently. Just need to wait for the engine to be ordered in (a week or two they reckon). I take it yours was fine with the new engine?
No problems so far, it was done in June so has had a good run in since. It's a lot quieter - so much so you can't hear the engine when you accelerate, just a hiss - which they assure me is just the noise the new turbos make.

I think I'm getting 25% better MPG too. Should probably complain that running on 3 cylinders meant I spent a lot more on fuel for 18 months than I should have, and try and get compensation.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T


CrashQai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–present)

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by CrashQai » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:47 am

chrisw99 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:36 pm


No problems so far, it was done in June so has had a good run in since. It's a lot quieter - so much so you can't hear the engine when you accelerate, just a hiss - which they assure me is just the noise the new turbos make.

I think I'm getting 25% better MPG too. Should probably complain that running on 3 cylinders meant I spent a lot more on fuel for 18 months than I should have, and try and get compensation.
Thanks for the info. That's good to know. I'd seen some suggestions that I shouldn't expect much power in low gears on the 1.2 anyway, so was never entirely sure if what I was experience power-wise was normal or not.


User avatar
Montytb4
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Re: Noise when accelerating 1.2 - not whistling

Post by Montytb4 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Hi,
I have a noise coming from the engine but when lifting off the throttle, sounds a bit like a back fire or a turbo cut!
Is this sound normal or an issue?
J
2015 1.2 N-Tec in Bullish Bronze :-) - Moved on!
2018 1.2 N-Connecta in Vivid Blue :D


Post Reply

Return to “Engine & Drivetrain”