Noise / rattle when engine cold

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
CrashQai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–present)

Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by CrashQai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 am

Hello all. Nice to join the forum, looks like it will be a very useful resource.

I have an n-connecta dig-t 1.2 petrol, registered early 2017, that I bought this summer. I've noticed that when I start the car from cold, for the first five or 10 mins until it warms up I hear a vibrating / rattling noise at around 1800-2000 revs when accelerating. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere in there behind the steering wheel. Whilst this is happening I also feel like I'm getting a little less power. The engine kind of sounds like it's struggling, and this possible contributes to the perception that I get less acceleration. Am I imagining it? Is it a fault or just some body or trim rattling?

This is really starting to drive me crazy! Anyone else experienced similar? I have seen a number of posts about various noises and rattles but I'm not sure any of them exactly match what I'm experiencing.

I have booked the car in to be looked at. Obviously it's under warranty, but I can't help worrying that they're going claim they can't find any fault and then charge me for the diagnostic. Someone reassure me?!


ABliss
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by ABliss » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:56 am

CrashQai wrote:Hello all. Nice to join the forum, looks like it will be a very useful resource.

I have an n-connecta dig-t 1.2 petrol, registered early 2017, that I bought this summer. I've noticed that when I start the car from cold, for the first five or 10 mins until it warms up I hear a vibrating / rattling noise at around 1800-2000 revs when accelerating. The noise seems to be coming from somewhere in there behind the steering wheel. Whilst this is happening I also feel like I'm getting a little less power. The engine kind of sounds like it's struggling, and this possible contributes to the perception that I get less acceleration. Am I imagining it? Is it a fault or just some body or trim rattling?

This is really starting to drive me crazy! Anyone else experienced similar? I have seen a number of posts about various noises and rattles but I'm not sure any of them exactly match what I'm experiencing.

I have booked the car in to be looked at. Obviously it's under warranty, but I can't help worrying that they're going claim they can't find any fault and then charge me for the diagnostic. Someone reassure me?!
Funny you should post this. My QQ is booked in for next Friday for the exact same noise. My rattle occurs between 1.4 - 2k revs. You can hear it best in second hear (road noise is less). When looking under the bonnet there were no obvious signs (apart from the air intake not held on to the slam panel at the front). Is your rattle also present when your foot comes off the accelerator?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk



CrashQai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–present)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by CrashQai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 pm

ABliss wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:56 am
Funny you should post this. My QQ is booked in for next Friday for the exact same noise. My rattle occurs between 1.4 - 2k revs. You can hear it best in second hear (road noise is less). When looking under the bonnet there were no obvious signs (apart from the air intake not held on to the slam panel at the front). Is your rattle also present when your foot comes off the accelerator?
Thanks for your reply! It's reassuring to know at least I'm not alone in this. Yes, I should have mentioned, it is indeed strongest in second gear. Do you also feel any difference in power or do you think it's just a noise? I'm booked in on Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes


ABliss
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by ABliss » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm

CrashQai wrote:
ABliss wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:56 am
Funny you should post this. My QQ is booked in for next Friday for the exact same noise. My rattle occurs between 1.4 - 2k revs. You can hear it best in second hear (road noise is less). When looking under the bonnet there were no obvious signs (apart from the air intake not held on to the slam panel at the front). Is your rattle also present when your foot comes off the accelerator?
Thanks for your reply! It's reassuring to know at least I'm not alone in this. Yes, I should have mentioned, it is indeed strongest in second gear. Do you also feel any difference in power or do you think it's just a noise? I'm booked in on Wednesday so I will let you know how it goes
I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between rattle and lack of power, but there is very little power below 2k from the 1.2 anyway I feel. The engine itself is prone to issue though. There's a huge pinned thread about the engine issues and even a newspaper article about it. Have you had a chance to listen to it pulling away from a pedestrian point of view? It sounds really ill.

If you could get back to me on what the garage says, it would be much appreciated. I'm getting charged £114 just for the diagnostic alone (just like yourself), and don't want them to come back to me and say 'yep, sounds all good'. Arnold Clark for you really.


Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk



CrashQai
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:48 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–present)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by CrashQai » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:00 pm

ABliss wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between rattle and lack of power, but there is very little power below 2k from the 1.2 anyway I feel. The engine itself is prone to issue though. There's a huge pinned thread about the engine issues and even a newspaper article about it. Have you had a chance to listen to it pulling away from a pedestrian point of view? It sounds really ill.

If you could get back to me on what the garage says, it would be much appreciated. I'm getting charged £114 just for the diagnostic alone (just like yourself), and don't want them to come back to me and say 'yep, sounds all good'. Arnold Clark for you really.
I've not listened to it from a pedestrian's point of view. I'll definitely get back to you on how it goes. Do nissan charge for the diagnostic regardless of whether a repair is covered? This'll be my first experience of nissan servicing. My assumption is that "diagnostic" just means they'll plug the computer in and go and have a coffee. If it is a case of some engine part or other rattling against something else simple due to poor build quality that's unlikely to get picked up by the computer I suppose... I'll try to have a chat with the an actual mechanic when I drop it off. Wish me luck


ABliss
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by ABliss » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm

CrashQai wrote:
ABliss wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between rattle and lack of power, but there is very little power below 2k from the 1.2 anyway I feel. The engine itself is prone to issue though. There's a huge pinned thread about the engine issues and even a newspaper article about it. Have you had a chance to listen to it pulling away from a pedestrian point of view? It sounds really ill.

If you could get back to me on what the garage says, it would be much appreciated. I'm getting charged £114 just for the diagnostic alone (just like yourself), and don't want them to come back to me and say 'yep, sounds all good'. Arnold Clark for you really.
I've not listened to it from a pedestrian's point of view. I'll definitely get back to you on how it goes. Do nissan charge for the diagnostic regardless of whether a repair is covered? This'll be my first experience of nissan servicing. My assumption is that "diagnostic" just means they'll plug the computer in and go and have a coffee. If it is a case of some engine part or other rattling against something else simple due to poor build quality that's unlikely to get picked up by the computer I suppose... I'll try to have a chat with the an actual mechanic when I drop it off. Wish me luck
This is my gripe exactly. If there was an electronic fault assisting with the noise, it would pop up on our dash surely. You're right too, they're just going to plug it in and read any codes that crop up, not any real effort going into it. If there was a fault, the eml usually comes on and that prompts a diagnostic.
I'm quite sceptical so I think they're just trying to get as much money as possible for the 5 minutes they're going to take up using the diagnostic machine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk



dlloydd
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:41 am
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–present)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by dlloydd » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:10 am

Hello,
Just joined the forum.
I bought an Ex showroom !.2 dig petrol Qashqai in September. So essentially brand new in all but name.

Fine for three days then on about the fourth day this rattle starts. similar to that described in earlier posts.

Throaty rattle. Noticeable for 10-15 minutes. Mainly at engine speed 1.5 - 2.0K revs in first or second gear. But I have also picked it up when applying some more power in fourth or fifth gear although more difficult to pick out on account of road noise.

I also have a sense of poor power but not sure about this as don't know what to expect of a Qashqai

I have already had it in Nissan dealership for two days. But problematic. it takes me an hour to drive there after which difficult to hear problem. However they agreed keep the car and start car following morning. They phoned me to say they had found a loose petrol pipe and the problem was solved. However when I collected the car on the second morning the issue was exactly the same. Left me a bit sceptical.


The car is now booked in again for a full week. what should I expect or ask for? has anyone experience of this issue being satisfactorily solved?

dlloydd


User avatar
Daewar
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed May 25, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by Daewar » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Return it under any Lemon law you can find. They have had a chance to repair the fault, so ask for your money back.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... r-top-tips
dlloydd wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:10 am
Hello,
Just joined the forum.
I bought an Ex showroom !.2 dig petrol Qashqai in September. So essentially brand new in all but name.

Fine for three days then on about the fourth day this rattle starts. similar to that described in earlier posts.

Throaty rattle. Noticeable for 10-15 minutes. Mainly at engine speed 1.5 - 2.0K revs in first or second gear. But I have also picked it up when applying some more power in fourth or fifth gear although more difficult to pick out on account of road noise.

I also have a sense of poor power but not sure about this as don't know what to expect of a Qashqai

I have already had it in Nissan dealership for two days. But problematic. it takes me an hour to drive there after which difficult to hear problem. However they agreed keep the car and start car following morning. They phoned me to say they had found a loose petrol pipe and the problem was solved. However when I collected the car on the second morning the issue was exactly the same. Left me a bit sceptical.


The car is now booked in again for a full week. what should I expect or ask for? has anyone experience of this issue being satisfactorily solved?

dlloydd
J11A 2016 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.


ABliss
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by ABliss » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:36 pm

dlloydd wrote:Hello,
Just joined the forum.
I bought an Ex showroom !.2 dig petrol Qashqai in September. So essentially brand new in all but name.

Fine for three days then on about the fourth day this rattle starts. similar to that described in earlier posts.

Throaty rattle. Noticeable for 10-15 minutes. Mainly at engine speed 1.5 - 2.0K revs in first or second gear. But I have also picked it up when applying some more power in fourth or fifth gear although more difficult to pick out on account of road noise.

I also have a sense of poor power but not sure about this as don't know what to expect of a Qashqai

I have already had it in Nissan dealership for two days. But problematic. it takes me an hour to drive there after which difficult to hear problem. However they agreed keep the car and start car following morning. They phoned me to say they had found a loose petrol pipe and the problem was solved. However when I collected the car on the second morning the issue was exactly the same. Left me a bit sceptical.


The car is now booked in again for a full week. what should I expect or ask for? has anyone experience of this issue being satisfactorily solved?

dlloydd
I suppose the obvious answer would be to accept a fully functioning car with an engine that doesn't tattle.
Previous "fixes" have been a new engine entirely. Keep us up to date with what they say.
I know Crashqai, has his car in today. Do we're looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk



ABliss
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Re: Noise / rattle when engine cold

Post by ABliss » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am

CrashQai wrote:
ABliss wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:06 pm
I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between rattle and lack of power, but there is very little power below 2k from the 1.2 anyway I feel. The engine itself is prone to issue though. There's a huge pinned thread about the engine issues and even a newspaper article about it. Have you had a chance to listen to it pulling away from a pedestrian point of view? It sounds really ill.

If you could get back to me on what the garage says, it would be much appreciated. I'm getting charged £114 just for the diagnostic alone (just like yourself), and don't want them to come back to me and say 'yep, sounds all good'. Arnold Clark for you really.
I've not listened to it from a pedestrian's point of view. I'll definitely get back to you on how it goes. Do nissan charge for the diagnostic regardless of whether a repair is covered? This'll be my first experience of nissan servicing. My assumption is that "diagnostic" just means they'll plug the computer in and go and have a coffee. If it is a case of some engine part or other rattling against something else simple due to poor build quality that's unlikely to get picked up by the computer I suppose... I'll try to have a chat with the an actual mechanic when I drop it off. Wish me luck
Could you give us an update if you have one?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk



Post Reply

Return to “Engine & Drivetrain”