Noise / rattle when engine cold

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
CrashQai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by CrashQai »

ABliss wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am Could you give us an update if you have one?
So they looked at mine yesterday... They did a diagnostic, a remap and another diagnostic and who knows what else. In the end they decided I need a whole new engine. They told me that there was more than 25% difference in pressure between the cylinders!

It's all covered by the warranty and they've said I'm fine to drive the car whilst they wait for the new engine to come in (apparently in a week or so).

Before dropped the car off I used my phone to record the rattle and then I emailed it to them at their request. They seemed pleased I'd done that, so I'd recommend anyone with the same issue to do the same.

ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

CrashQai wrote:
ABliss wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:23 am Could you give us an update if you have one?
So they looked at mine yesterday... They did a diagnostic, a remap and another diagnostic and who knows what else. In the end they decided I need a whole new engine. They told me that there was more than 25% difference in pressure between the cylinders!

It's all covered by the warranty and they've said I'm fine to drive the car whilst they wait for the new engine to come in (apparently in a week or so).

Before dropped the car off I used my phone to record the rattle and then I emailed it to them at their request. They seemed pleased I'd done that, so I'd recommend anyone with the same issue to do the same.
Thanks for the update. Would you be able to share with us the video of the noise also?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dlloydd

Post by dlloydd »

Thank you for comments and the Autocar article.

I have started to think that the rattle issue is problematic and might be difficult to solve and that I don't want to be fobbed off or have to keep the car if its a tricky issue. So knowing where I stand is useful.

My car is booked in again on 25 Nov for the whole week so that's led me to hope they are now taking it seriously.

I will supply further posts

dlloydd
CrashQai

Post by CrashQai »

Hopefully you'll both be as reassured as I was by Chrisw in this thread who experienced the same and has been going fine since the engine replacement viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7157&p=60807#p60807

Sorry ABliss, it's difficult for me to share the video today. perhaps you've made your own by now anyway. Good luck today!
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

CrashQai wrote:Hopefully you'll both be as reassured as I was by Chrisw in this thread who experienced the same and has been going fine since the engine replacement viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7157&p=60807#p60807

Sorry ABliss, it's difficult for me to share the video today. perhaps you've made your own by now anyway. Good luck today!
That's OK, I did make a little video back in May when I got the car. It wasn't as rattly as it is now. I'll try and share it.

I had a mechanic come out with me this morning and was told that the rattle was coming from the timing chain area. Hopefully, this doesn't cost me anything.

m112

Post by m112 »

CrashQai wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:52 am Hopefully you'll both be as reassured as I was by Chrisw in this thread who experienced the same and has been going fine since the engine replacement viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7157&p=60807#p60807

CrashQai is the noise in your engine the same as on the video above?

My doesnt do it when stationary only when accelerating and its not that severe.

I've uploaded a short video.
The noise can only be heared around 3rd-4th and then 17th 18th second. It only lasts for a second when the engine is about 2000

ABliss

Post by ABliss »

CrashQai wrote:

Have you had a replacement yet?

I ask because Nissan have done a diagnostic and came back to say I needed a new timing belt and tensioner (this was after an ecu change and oil top up). They didn't do a compression test which to me, sound like they wanted to cut some corners and didn't do they're job properly.

dlloydd

Post by dlloydd »

This is an update to my earlier post

I bought the car from Nissan Weston super Mare, which is not my nearest dealer. I took the car in to Nissan Exeter on 5 - 7 November. they did not solve the issue. One of the problems is that its best to demonstrate when the car is cold. They told me they had found a loose fuel pipe and the problem was sorted. Luckily I had arranged to collect the car in the morning and the problem was still there. I got a technician to come with and he finally agreed there was a problem but could not say there and then what is was. He told me to book the car in at a later date for a week.

However I decided I had better go to Nissan Weston in case I want to reject the car. It is booked in for 3rd December. I am putting everything in writing now including the fact that I might be minded to reject the car. After receiving my letter the manager rang me. He said it sounds like either the timing chain or an air intake but would obviously no commit until seeing the car.

I am now very uneasy. I have read stuff about a history of issues with this engine. I am not sure of myself yet but I am also getting disappointingly low and erratic mpg. Also noticed some exhaust fumes which don't expect to see on a modern engine. Not sure if these issues are inter-related but I have a horrible feeling I've got a dud engine.

The noise itself I am also hearing in any gear between 1.5 - 2.0 K revs when more power is gradually applied. I can also hear it in 3,4,5th gears and when the car is warm although not as prominent on account of road noise.

dlloydd
Leighman

Post by Leighman »

I had this after 6000 miles from new. New timing chain etc required.
dlloydd

Post by dlloydd »

Hello again,

Update on my previous posts.

The car is now in the dealership again. I had feared this would be a difficult, un-rewarding process trying to get any where

The service manager rang me up and there were three strands to his comments.

Its only a ticking sound.
Its caused by the fuel pump
Its not a fault; its normal. There's nothing wrong with the engine.

I reiterated the car did not make this noise when I bought it.
Going back for "a conversation" tomorrow