knocking noise

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
wozzer1969
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by wozzer1969 »

hi all and please help.
i have a 64 plate nissan 1.5 diesel with 48000 miles on the clock. has been serviced at correct intervals. 2 days ago a knocking started at the front of the car, sounding like under the engine, at low speed in 1st and 2nd gear only. noise vanishes once i gain speed. i called RAC out who plug in laptop and found no faults, he removed the undertray and found no faults/ loose. he adivised i get it on a ramp. straight away a local garage offered to do for free. they put on ramp and test drove, also carried out diagnostic check....nothing found. they said they think its a diesel knot or injector issue but cannot be certain. they said to contact nissan which i have, but car is out of warranty so they will do same checks and charge me £105 for the same checks as RAC did. can anyone help

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Very difficult to make an informed guess from a keyboard. I would find an independent garage to take a look, Nissan will just rip you off.

If you fancy a bit of investigation yourself, for a total stab in the dark, it sounds like an engine mount. In second gear take it gently to about 2k revs, take the foot off the gas & then back on a few times. If it's knocking bad from that it may be a mount. You will need to get a big screwdriver and try leavering the joint, takes a fair amount of force, but be careful. Should be smooth & not notchy.

wozzer1969 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:53 pm hi all and please help.
i have a 64 plate nissan 1.5 diesel with 48000 miles on the clock. has been serviced at correct intervals. 2 days ago a knocking started at the front of the car, sounding like under the engine, at low speed in 1st and 2nd gear only. noise vanishes once i gain speed. i called RAC out who plug in laptop and found no faults, he removed the undertray and found no faults/ loose. he adivised i get it on a ramp. straight away a local garage offered to do for free. they put on ramp and test drove, also carried out diagnostic check....nothing found. they said they think its a diesel knot or injector issue but cannot be certain. they said to contact nissan which i have, but car is out of warranty so they will do same checks and charge me £105 for the same checks as RAC did. can anyone help