Fuel pump issue? Possible air leak in fuel line?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
pablocullen
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by pablocullen »

Hey

I have a 2012 1.5 dci, i had issues with low power previously that where resolved with replacing the fuel filter with a Mann filter.

I have now got an issue with the strangest noise coming from the drivers side (around where the fuel pump is). Some days it will take an age to start and when it does i makes a kind of whooping noise. Eventually this goes away. I searched online and found that it can be air in the primer, which turned out to be correct.

Now every 3 days or so i need to go out and manually prime the fuel or i get this whooping noise and great difficulty starting. No fault codes being read and the car runs quite well when it all starts up.

Could there be an air leak somewhere? Could the fuel pump be failing? Any other ideas?

Thanks a million

Paul

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

There may be a fuel Non-Return Valve failing. Unsure where this would be, but probably in the fuel primer bulb.
pablocullen wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:17 pm Hey

I have a 2012 1.5 dci, i had issues with low power previously that where resolved with replacing the fuel filter with a Mann filter.

I have now got an issue with the strangest noise coming from the drivers side (around where the fuel pump is). Some days it will take an age to start and when it does i makes a kind of whooping noise. Eventually this goes away. I searched online and found that it can be air in the primer, which turned out to be correct.

Now every 3 days or so i need to go out and manually prime the fuel or i get this whooping noise and great difficulty starting. No fault codes being read and the car runs quite well when it all starts up.

Could there be an air leak somewhere? Could the fuel pump be failing? Any other ideas?

Thanks a million

Paul
pablocullen

Post by pablocullen »

I think you might be onto something. I recently changed the fuel filter and it must have taken 20 minutes to get the primer to actually fill the new filter. Ive ordered a new bulb on ebay, fairly cheap. Ill report back.

Paul
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

:thumbsup:
pablocullen wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:54 pm I think you might be onto something. I recently changed the fuel filter and it must have taken 20 minutes to get the primer to actually fill the new filter. Ive ordered a new bulb on ebay, fairly cheap. Ill report back.

Paul
pablocullen

Post by pablocullen »

Update - Ebay bulb was a dud, didn't fit (my fault) so purchased one from the Nissan dealership for £24 + vat which was very resonable. They had the part permanently stocked so it must go quite often. Appears to have resolved the issue with the starting although i think i still have some air in the line as i can still hear the noise a little.

Is there a bleed valve to remove air from the Diesel fuel rail?
Thru
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Thru »

Hey did you ever find out what the problem was here? I have exactly this problem?

Thanks in advance
Bmacca

Post by Bmacca »

i am having problems with my fuel pump on the engine seen like it failing but tried to get a new gasket set for it to rebuild it but now luck as yet
i have stripped down the DPF and cleaned it up looks good have also cleaned the accelerator sender unit also ok and checked the high pressure fuel sender unit checked all look good and working ok its had new glow plugs new air filter and fuel filter checked the injectors and its still a pain to start but harder when warm has anyone got a clue what it could be i am at a loss with it all now
Bmacca

Post by Bmacca »

nissan quashqai quashqai +2 2.0 dci i am having problems with my fuel pump on the engine seen like it failing but tried to get a new gasket set for it to rebuild it but now luck as yet.

i have stripped down the DPF and EGR cleaned it up looks good have also cleaned the accelerator sender unit also ok and checked the high pressure fuel sender unit checked all look good and working. Its had new glow plugs new air filter and fuel filter checked the injectors and its still a pain to start but harder when warm has anyone got a clue what it could be i am at a loss with it all now

help please
Raburton

Post by Raburton »

I have the same issue.
I changed the filter, it worked for a couple of days. Then I found a pinhole in the primer bulb, so taped it till I got a replacement.
Swapped it over, and the issues started again.
You need to prime it - sometimes for a considerable time before it starts.
There must be air getting in somewhere, as long as you start it every day its fine. But as soon as you leave it over 24hrs, it just won't start.
Where could air be getting in? Its always had at least 50% full diesel tank.
I've only had the car a month and its driving me mad. I'm on call every night, and can't cope with it not starting.
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

You'll still have air in the system after replaceing the prime bulb