Clutch judder 1.5td 2016

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Newbs
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Newbs »

Hello everyone.i am new to this forum so I apologise in advance if I am not following your protocols correctly.i have had a quick search about clutch issues on the diesel j11 qashqai but can't find much on here.i have owned the car for a year so far and it was 18 months old when I bought it.the car has been fine until two months ago when it has started to produce a clutch judder after driving on a long journey or motorway driving.the issue accurs when coming to a stop then when driving away in first the clutch would judder.this has now developed into happening all the time when the car is driven on any journey over 20 minutes long and is now juddering in first gear and when selecting second gear.the car has been to our local nissan dealer workshop who have confirmed this issue is occurring.the car has so far covered only 25,000 miles and still has 6 months warranty left.they have said until the gearbox is removed and the clutch and flywheel inspected for wear can they say whether it would be fixed under the manufactuers warranty.my questions are have any of you had this clutch judder issue on the 1.5 diesel models ? Have any of you been successful in getting Nissan GB to fix this under warranty.any feed back would be great.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Hi Newbs, search a little deeper as there is quite a bit of info on this.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've been looking into the warranty + clutch details for a problem I'm having with mine. Mine is 4 years old, 37K, but still has a couple of months of the Cared4 extended warranty left. Different problem - my clutch pedal has gone really really hard to press, so much so that I'm in agony after a short drive in traffic.

In the warranty details, it says "what is not covered" and it only says "clutch friction materials".

I rang the Nissan warranty helpline and had a long chat, he told me everything mechanical would be covered - pedal, master/slave cylinders, hydraulics, springs, etc, and that it is highly unlikely wear and tear would account for a heavy pedal as it's more likely to be the hydraulics or the springs, but again until they remove the gearbox they cannot say.

So it's a gamble, get them to remove the gearbox and they say no fault found I'll be liable a few hundred for the labour charges in doing that. If I'm having to pay for it myself, then it would be far cheaper to go to an independent. But as there's a chance it's likely to be a broken spring or slave cylinder (or possibly even just air in the hydraulics), the fact I'm still under warranty means it's a risk I will have to take.

You do have the problem that it could be worn friction materials causing that issue, which could be down to the previous owners driving style. You can damage a clutch in a few miles if you drive it wrong. But if you 100% stand your ground that it is not your driving style, then that implies they sold you a car with a damaged clutch in the first place..
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Newbs

Post by Newbs »

The car was bought from a car supermarket but had just been serviced by main dealer.we had the car serviced by our local Nissan dealer in the summer,so the car has 2 main dealer stamps.we have already had to have the battery changed under warranty because the car failed to start.i have previously driven mazda's with no clutch issues at all.we love the car with its spec and I did have reservations about buying it as it uses a Renault engine and I assume a Renault flywheel,Clutch & gearbox.i have looked about on the internet about the same clutch judder / flywheel issues on the kadjar and have found a few with same issue with cars under 40,000 miles with flywheels failing causing judder.our dealer has quoted £500 Labour to drop the gearbox and inspect clutch / gearbox which is payable if not covered by warranty and about £2000 to replace clutch and flywheel if wear and tear and not warranty.it will be a bitter pill to swallow as we have only driven the car 12,000 miles since owning it which have mainly been motorway miles and not stop start driving.any feed back would be much appricated.
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

£2000 to replace a clutch & flywheel ? Are they replacing it with 1 made from some other worldly materials ?

£500- £600 for new clutch & flywheel.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

Are you certain that it is indeed clutch judder or is it the engine faultering when the clutch is putting the load on the engine?
Is the engine running as smoothly as you'd expect it of has it become a bit rough and lazy, especially around 1500 rpm? As a start have you tried fuelling with something like Shell V-power, I found it made a noticeable difference to the overall smooth running of my engine, and I now only use supermarket fuels as a last resort.

I can quite see that a less than perfect clutch may cause some juddering but if the engine is failing to deliver enough torque then it can exacerbate the issue. Maybe someone with detailed insight into the working of clutches and DMFs can explain why the symptoms aren't present all the time? There's literally dozens of users on the Renault forums complaining about "clutch" judder with 1.5 dci engines and all seem to present similar "occasional" symptoms.
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've just rung a branch of Mr Clutch so I have a backup before I try the warranty with the main dealer next week, and was given a quote of £529 parts + labour for complete clutch + slave cylinder replacement.

So if I get told the same as you that it may be £500 to investigate and it turns out it's not a warranty covered thing, then it would only be £29 more to get the whole thing replaced.

Mine is the 1.2 petrol though, I think diesels are more expensive due to the dual mass flywheel.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Johnboypapa22

Post by Johnboypapa22 »

Recently noticed shudder pullingaway in 1st gear usually first thing in the morning . Bled fluid ..still the same ..noticed front tyre pressures were at 29psi when cold but when driving a while , pressures inflated as tyres heating up and shudder would stop.. Increased front pressures to 34 ..problem now gone....