Clutch/Flywheel Problems

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Chris,

I would suggest you don't need knee strengthening exercises as your car is providing this for you. In my view, you would be better resting your knee where possible to allow it to recover between exercises.
chrisw99 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:16 pm In the meantime, I'll start working on some knee strengthening exercises!

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

True - I also need to read up on the best position to sit in. You normally take it for granted, but now my clutch is pushing hard back at me, I need to make sure I am using the correct muscles. I once read that if you sit too far back, pressing your clutch ends up using your weaker knee muscles, if you sit too far forward, you use your fine motor control muscles in your foot. there's an optimal position where you use your big strong glute muscles.

Could be getting somewhere on the warranty front... the local claims authoriser chap from the Cared4 warranty rang me back and pointed out it's 90% certain to be mechanical pressure plate problem causing a really stiff clutch, not worn out friction material. But until he can see the problem with his own eyes, he's not allowed to authorise the claim.
And then he stepped outside from the Nissan dealer, rang me back, and said it doesn't have to be a main dealer doing the work. If I was to go with my local garages quote of £529 for a new clutch, as long as they let him have a look at it once it's stripped down before putting the new one in, if it's a mechanical fault he'd authorise the replacement to be covered.

I'd always been under the assumption buying a Nissan car from a Nissan dealer with a Nissan extended warranty, then any repairs under warranty would need to be at a Nissan dealer. Turns out that's not the case at all.

The only drawback with this scenario, it's not likely to be a genuine Nissan clutch replacement, but a Valeo or Luk kit, so any future problem wouldn't be covered under the warranty. But I've only got about 7 weeks left on the warranty, so not really an issue (new clutch would be covered for 2 years/20000 miles anyway)
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
sbrace06
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by sbrace06 »

Mine is going in for them to keep it up to a week. Clutch Judder on 1.6 petrol, 67 plate 11k miles. I've only done 2k though and it has been like it since I got it off them. My argument/backup is that I took it in after 2 weeks to let them know it had the fault, which they said they couldn't notice, but is very noticeable.
Very helpful on the phone and ill be 're iterating I don't want it back as it is and expect it sorted.
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

I had a BMW 520i with take off shudder...never fixed it using a garage. Should've done it myself....as usual! Not much in a clutch and obviously a critical item(s). Clutch plate cheap...getting to it crazy money.

Costly overall procedure as follows.

From the HRA2DDT : Removal and Installation". (Nissan Engine Repair Doc)

Explained here is how to disassemble with engine stand supporting transmission surface. When using different
type of engine stand, note with difference in steps and etc.
1. Remove the engine and the transaxle assembly from the vehicle, and separate the transaxle from the
engine. Refer to EM-52, "Exploded View".
2. Remove clutch cover and clutch disc. Refer to CL-22, "HRA2DDT : Removal and Installation".
3. Remove flywheel.
• Secure flywheel with a stopper plate [SST: — (Mot.1431)], and remove mounting bolts.
CAUTION:
• Never disassemble flywheel.
• Never place flywheel with signal plate facing down.
• When handling signal plate, take care not to damage or scratch it.
• Handle signal plate in a manner that prevents it from becoming magnetized.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Ladymack
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Ladymack »

My car shudders in 1st 2nd gear when it’s coldand the rest of the gears feel rough to go into, does any one know what the problem might be, as it is getting worse
Thank you
TonyFinn-Ford
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by TonyFinn-Ford »

I am intrigued to know how people on here managed to get the repairs done FOC as we have just been advised that it will cost us £1893 to replace the clutch. The car is 26 months old and less than 20,000 miles on the clock. The vehicle was recovered from work as it started showing signs of something wrong, the dealership stripped out the old clutch and then told us what the issue was, we had at no point instructed them to carry out the works. NIssan GB have said that it is not a warranty issue and is down to wear and tear. Bull Hooks! The car does 20 miles a day of motorway!!
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I have been quoted £400 - £500 from several independent places to replace the clutch/slave cylinder on a J11. The main dealer price is ridiculous.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T