1.2 DIG-T engine trouble

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Nesh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Nesh »

Hi,

So we recently took our car to the local Nissan dealer garage to have a look at it after developing a rattle. He found low oil, topped it up and told us we may have ruined the engine.

We had no oil level warning, no engine temperature warnings and had recently done 2x600+ mile trips at Christmas without issue (other than the rattle)

I've seen the post on the known issue but my engine falls outside this range, has anyone had any experience with Nissan accepting the fault as theirs even if not in the range? Or are their more than just those i found (link below)

We bought new and have full service history with Nissan, less than 3 years old and ~35k miles

Thanks for any help.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6787&p=57759

david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Did you not check your oil level before going on a 600 mile trip dont wait for the car to tell you because it wont and you should have checked before you put the car into nissan....sorry david
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car
Nesh

Post by Nesh »

Stupidly not, it was forgotten in the mad rush to get packed and the kid ready etc.

The problem had started long before that trip though so it was not the cause.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Maybe try another dealer?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I tend to agree with david sunderland. Oil levels should be checked at least every month. Anything excessive should be noted, topped up and monitored. The onus is on the owner, even if there may be an abnormality with the engine, sorry!
Nesh

Post by Nesh »

So to clarify a little more.

This is my wife's car that i barely touch.

I do check the oil level every few months and had never noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I'm military and was away for 7 months and so it had gone unchecked since May.

The problem started while i was away but my wife never got around to booking it in as was overstressed with work, the kid and me being away.

My concern is more that this problem they seem to want to hide that only effects a certain engines, may be wider spread that they are letting on.

My engine is outside the range they give yet the conditions mentioned in their bulletin seem to match up with what is happening.

The engine suffers from a rattle and rev counter even jutters at specific low RPM (see low speed/load in the bulletin).

It went 24k without me needing to top it up (should have been done at both annual servicings in March 17 & 18) but 8k later its developed an issue and is near empty shortly after. Thats a suspicious increase in oil consumption if you ask me, and I'm and and aircraft engineer so in my world faults like this cost lives so we don't just pass it off as user error.

I don't mean to sound like a dick but this issue has me pissed off, you don't want to come home and find the wife has broken the engine in the car your about to sell.... but i don't need to be told to check the oil, i know that, i'd just like to know if the known issue with these engines has happened to those outside the state serial numbers
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I'm sorry but anyone who drives a car should know that you have to check certain things more often than at services.

I presume your wife hadn't checked the tyre pressures either - what if there had been a blowout or some other issue causing a crash - with your child in the car?

EDIT - I speak as someone with a permanent knee injury as a result of not checking the tyre pressures on my motorbike...
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Nesh

Post by Nesh »

Check the tyres regularly as one has a slow leak, the car also has a sensor for that so its hard to miss.

I understand the point everyone is making and hopefully now my wife won't neglect the car while i'm away. But it does get checked every time i wash the car, usually every 4-6 weeks and it was never far from full. Obviously she got used to me doing it and left it.

I haven't owned a car myself before as only got my license 18mpnths ago, is it normal for a cars oil consumption to skyrocket after 2 years? Because that seems off to me.

I'll just have talk to the garage myself on Monday
Gel

Post by Gel »

Oil consumption should normally improve in new car, as it'll use more when new, as engine/pistons will be tight
until engine bedded in, or run in as we used to say.

You need to give your other half some DIY tips on basics she must do on your QQ when you're away.

Obviously tyres are monitored, and can be checked via dashboard display; teach her how
to do this, & to add or reduce pressure. Lidl have an electric tyre pump from time to time; a good
investment, saving hassle of using those at petrol stations.

Also useful to inflate footballs, lilo's etc
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Ness, shit has happened unfortunately and now the learning curve starts as mentioned in the above comments. All great comments but not so ideal for the Wife with a Kid, work and the Stress of being alone. if she can lift the QQ Bonnet for example then the first problem is solved ☹️ Before I moved to Berlin I was flying back and forward from London for 5 years every week, so I spoke with a local garage, friends to keep an eye on our cars and just agreed to give then a drink, it worked. Some garages here Shell for example charge (€1 or small tip) for checking these basic points with filling up with petrol, this could be another way out. Let’s just hope that the engine is not one of these problems ones - Good Luck Dave 😉
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken