Chassis control system fault

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Conne25
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Conne25 »

End of October, I had the chassis control system failure warning come on, battery light as well as a few others, then radio cut out and car suddenly stopped in the middle of 3 lanes and 50mph area on a21. I lost all use of anything electrical, hazard lights, doors that weren't already unlocked (thankfully decided to not lock mine that morning like I usually do) and my parking break. Part of the road where the car decided to STOP Was on an incline and very busy so I was basically stuck in my car watching cars speeding up behind me in my rear view mirror. Breakdown told me to call Police to assist.
Was able to get enough of a break in traffic to let the car roll back and wedge into a curb and wait for assistance. Told the alternator had gone!!
I've never been so scared in all my life!! And nissan have said that it shouldn't have happened but clearly reading these other people have had similar issues.
I'm now petrified to get back in my car, which I need for work and my kids!!
On top of that Nissan currently have my car for over a week and a half and after approving the work on the alternator to go ahead and for a major service to be done to make sure there are no more other issues on Tuesday just gone and told it would be ready by Wednesday afternoon, they've done the service which is still showing faults but not changed the alternator, so get a phone call friday night to say the battery I replaced 2 and half weeks ago won't charge and is failing so had to take the battery back to Halfords for them to test it - No issue and Nissan are doing the alternator today (saturday)!? Go back less than an hour later, baring in mine I've been told replacing the alternator should take 2-3 hours and the alterntator has been done... but they want to keep hold of the car until Monday so they can run some more "tests".
Case worker from Nissan customer care has asked me what my "ideal resolution" would be.... I'm fuming to say the least as well as how rude the service manager was!
Something fishy is going on!!!

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The Nissan dealer should get any part on overnight delivery from UK or Europe. Within 24hrs from end of diagnosis or request.
The Alternator has likely burnt out (windings) and/or that the control electronics has completely ceased regulating charge power. If that happens the car is powered by Battery only and depending on state of the Battery give an hour or more of driving. Thats providing headlights/blowers are not used.

What make and type of battery is it?
What car model and year do you have?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Conne25

Post by Conne25 »

2 garages including Nissan and 2 RAC call outs didn't say it was burnt out just that it had failed... put in a complaint and they didn't investigate. Had such bad customer service from them right from the word go.

Yes I was driving the car on just the battery power!!

Battery is 096AGM Start/Stop AGM 12V

Qashqai 15 plate which from talking to people and researching lots of people have had the same problem.

Nissan have said today it's not their problem and their not interested
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Can you follow this procedure to see if alternator is charging:

With engine stopped and cold goto Service System Status screen as shown
Record the voltage shown
Start the engine
Record voltage again

What are the voltages?

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Conne25

Post by Conne25 »

I don't have the car still, have been told it's been replaced (?)
My issue isn't the alternator going that happens, it's that I lost power to everything leaving me stuck in the car in a really dangerous situation and them saying it's not their problem
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Oddly I encountered a woman stopped on a very busy roundabout (inside lane) with the police parked behind her 2 days back. That was a Volvo SUV.

Its a total loss of power you appear to describe and very serious. The alternator may not be charging sufficiently for some reason? The battery will be an issue over time if not charged adequately. That could be an alternator fault or too many short journeys....less than 30 miles.

The FIAMM make of battery has been the problem that we are very aware of here. Nissan appear to be replacing with the german VARTA make. This is costly stuff!

AGM is not the normal battery type to use for QashQai's as its designed for part charging by new car braking systems that you/me don't have. So its rather wasted as regards cost. All you need is the EFB battery but this is not likely your problem unless its a FIAMM make.

From what you say it is the responsibility of Nissan to advise you properly as I have tried to do. It needs a bit of effort to explain the shortcomings of modern cars that are littered with modern functions. And particularly the weaknesses you must be aware of.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Snake3yes

Post by Snake3yes »

Did anyone get a resolution to this, I am starting to have the same issue.

Typically the Chassis Control fault goes first, then the Stop Start, Occasionally then the front radar will go too. After a while of driving the Stop/Start comes back online. It was very intermittent earlier in the year but now its almost every day it happens.

Wondering if anyone else got a result with the loom replacement?

2014 model here too.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

You mention loom replacement. Do you assume a CAN bus fault in that its a wiring fault rather than a unit/sub system working on that bus?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Carphone

Post by Carphone »

Hi All,

My wife's 2014 car is also having this exact same issue - intermittent dash errors including - chassis control error, stop start error, amber engine light and sometimes red engine light. The car drives absolutely fine though and on some journeys there are no errors and on others it goes crazy. Turning the car off and back on often clears the errors for a short while.

My mobile mechanic has so far checked for any obvious issues with the wiring loom (as mentioned in this thread). He said he can see it rubbing but it does not appear damaged. He has also tried a new top of the range battery to see if this would solve it but no joy. He is tempted to try the alternator next but given that's a £500 job I am reluctant to let him try this given there is no guarantee it will fix it!

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Anything else i should ask my mechanic to check? Should I risk taking it to a main dealer or maybe a dedicated auto electrician?

So frustrating! Thanks very much!

Dan
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

It tends to indicate a communications problem and not necessarily wiring. The CAN bus system connects functions you mention together and its a master/slave type relationship (sensors etc). Anyone of them can disrupt the communications bus...continually and/or intermittently.

Error codes detected by a diagnostic/scanner tool may list errors although most of them can arise as a result of one particular fault. Certainly needs somebody with the right tool(s) and ability to diagnose a very difficult fault situation...intermittent.

An example in the video of wiring problems below...not QQ and I'm not saying this is the fault area:

Recreating the fault behaviour is at about 16 minutes in:

1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta