Exhaust fumes coming into interior

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Alison556

Post by Alison556 »

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, so apologies if I'm not.

My 4 month old diesel Qashqai is currently in the dealer.

I've had problems since I got it brand new - at first, we kept thinking something was burning but put it down to a new car and maybe some kind of grease or lubricant burning off. Then we noticed a smell of exhaust fumes inside when sitting in traffic - and put it down to the car in front.

However, this is getting worse and over the last few weeks, when it's been really cold (3 degrees and under), it's cutting out when cold in low gears, really chugging when started up and the exhaust smell problem is getting worse. The cutting out is when the car and outside temps are really cold but the exhaust smell is when it's up to temp. I was sitting outside my mother's house, yapping (as we do) and the car was idling. We became aware of the smell and it steadily got worse - to the point our eyes were streaming and we were choking. Since all this started, we've had constant headaches every time we're in the car for any length of time.

So, it's in the dealer and I have a hire car - same diesel QQ but next model up and the difference in responsiveness, fuel consumption, everything is very noticable - and no headaches (I've had it for over a week now). Dealer are saying that they can't find anything wrong with my car - they've extended road tested it (not much use in that as the problem is when it's idling) and nothing is showing up on the computer. They can't get it to cut out either - but it's been markedly warmer this last week.

I spoke to the mechanic today and he's going to keep it longer and now that he's actually spoken to me, go over it again.

Anyone else had similar problem - or indeed any explanation for this? I've got to go down south next week and I certainly don't want to arrive dead with exhaust fumes :shock:

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

You can get the smell when stationary and the wind is blowing from behind, but head aches are from carbon monoxide and its a killer. You could put a household carbon monoxide tester in The car to see if it alerts
Noddy1875
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Noddy1875 »

I had a mk2 fiesta years ago that used to let exhaust gases inside the car. Turned out it was a cracked manifold. Fumes inside the car is a real killer, so dont accept the car back if you have any doubts that it's not been sorted properly.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
Alison556

Post by Alison556 »

Does a diesel engine put out enough CO to set off a detector? I did think of that but wasn't sure if it would set it off.
trout
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by trout »

Yes Alison, pretty sure it would, they are finely tuned detectors.
As said it’s very dangerous, I’d get the mechanic to sit in your car with you on idle until he starts coughing.
S.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

It's not a co2 detector you need. It's a carbon monoxide monitor

Carbon monoxide is more attractive to your red blood cells than oxygen, so it's very difficult to to remove from the blood. Co2 will make you breathless and dizzy but soon as you get oxygen you recover. This is why carbon monoxide is such a deadly killer

[aquote=Alison556 post_id=63725 time=1550343741 user_id=141]
Does a diesel engine put out enough CO to set off a detector? I did think of that but wasn't sure if it would set it off.
[/quote]
Taf
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Taf »

Maybe an injector seal issue?
Alison556

Post by Alison556 »

The techician phoned me today to tell me that yes, I am right, if the car is sitting idling, the interior is filling with fumes. It's only taken them 10 days to work that one out.

They have no idea why, so contacted Nissan who said it "might" be something to do with the Adblue settings, so they've come up with a software patch to try to see if that helps. Of course, it might not.

It's not a whole lot of reassurance when I've got a 600 miles round trip to do this weekend
Bob d

Post by Bob d »

If I were you I'd ask the dealer to give you written confirmation that the car is safe for you to occupy and that the fumes aren't hazardous to health. That may well focus their minds in terms off liability. Like you I'd be very sceptical that any software mod could overcome what sounds like an exhaust leak. There's reference to exhaust leaks in the engine compartment on the "other" Qashqai forum by Duncho.
J11 QQ N-Tec+ 1.5 DCi Magnetic Red
Alison556

Post by Alison556 »

He said the software update should be done by tomorrow lunchtime and he'd run it again but it was just a case of trying it to see - but I am certainly not comfortable doing a huge road trip to try it. I've still got my hire car so it might be a case of arguing with them to keep that over the weekend.

I am no mechanic (or technician) but everything points to a manifold leak to me, but apparently they blocked the exhaust and the pressure was fine.

Will go and find the other post - thank you for the pointer :)