Red engine light, fault codes, egr and electrical problem

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Badger162
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Badger162 »

Qashqai 1.6 diesel ntec
Had dpf cleared out maybe a year ago (was 98%) as I was driving 100 miles a day on cheap diesel for two years, but I haven't done that for a year now.

So two things, my red engine light came on today, car seems absolutely fine, fault codes found include
Glow plugs heater circuit
Pre-heater unit (same thing?)
Dpf (although regen 100 miles ago)
Rail fuel pressure too low (was found at >4000 at 3mph?)
Egr valve?
Ascd function

The breakdown guy seems to think its the egr valve or the dpf? How easy is the egr valve to get to? Any advice? He also suggested low fuel pressure could either be fuel filter or linked to glow plug circuit problem.
He had no idea what the Ascd function fault was.
Will be doing oil and filter change tonight.

Second problem
It can take a while to start the engine first thing in the morning, more so if cold eg 20 second turnover and 2 attempts.
When I accelerate the power sometimes disappears, it's very intermittent, some trips it happens at every set of traffic lights etc, other trips it might happen once.
It's done this ever since I've had the car (>2 years) but seems to be getting slowly more frequent.
I figured it could be a faulty earth because I constantly get static shocks from the car, the lights/audio everything cut out when it happens but it immediately fixes itself.

Car also goes through more headlight bulbs than I've ever experienced in any other car (linked to power issue/potential dodgy earth?!)

Also also, car no longer tells me when to change up/down gear and no longer has the clock display next to the weather/temperature display.

any ideas appreciated as no one seems to be able to help.
Last edited by Badger162 on Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chriss85

Post by Chriss85 »

Did you manage to find the cause of your engine faults. I'm having simailar issues with my 2012 qashqai 1.6dci tekna. Many thanks
Badger162

Post by Badger162 »

No, the cars still running normally as far as I can tell, the red light is still on but I haven't done any work/servicing.
I'm using shell/esso fuel and using their best diesel once a month.
I stuck some valve cleaner in through the air take, the red light is still on and I haven't checked the valve itself so can't comment on whether it's done anything either!

Which fault code/issue are you getting?
Pet of me thinks most of my faults are connected somehow
Chriss85

Post by Chriss85 »

I'm getting codes p0380 glow plug heater circuit A. P0002 fuel volume regulator and P1485 which I'm guessing is egr. Red eml has only come on once and a lot of amber eml which I keep resetting. I had a quick look at the egr valve last night and it is in a pretty awkward place at the back of the engine which is a shame as I would have liked to see how coked up it was. Due a major service next month which I will bring forward hopefully to next week hopefully this might sort a few things out before I start throwing money at it. If I get any results after the service I'll let you know.
Badger162

Post by Badger162 »

Hi, yes please do let me know re service!
Same thought re location of the valve, total faff to get to.
The breakdown guy said mine was very likely a sticky egr valve and that it's probably stuck open (rather than closed which would be worse) his suggestion was that being open was allowing gases to flood into the engine?

Since using better fuel I haven't had the power loss anywhere near as often. Still doesn't start well in cold temperatures.
bstack10

Post by bstack10 »

Badger162,

Just wondering did you get any solution to this having the same isues and have not been ale to make sense of it?
Stan23SCO
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Stan23SCO »

Hi,
I had the same problem with our 2014 QQ.
The garage I went to wanted to remove and 'bake' the dpf filter to clear it. Quote for this was close to £1000 including labour.
I ran the car a few times up and down the motorway aka 'Italian tune up'. Bought 4 replacement glow plugs for £48 and my father-in-law took it into the garage he works for and one of the mechanics replaced the glow plugs finding one to be faulty.

Never had any bother since. I have changed my driving habits slightly to alleviate the problems ie not changing into 5th gear until over 45 mph etc.

Hope this helps.