Running from cold

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
geoff47
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by geoff47 »

I have a late 2017 1.2 n-connecta cvt auto. When starting from cold on dark frosty morning I use the quick clear button on the dash which boosts air to screen. With lights on as well the tickover appears to pulse up and down and with it so does the fan speed. It is noticeable that the lights are dimming and brightening the same.
The light problem happens for the first couple of miles sometimes.
I have no trouble starting or even the stop/ start system which works fine.
Everything else works fine, any ideas please. If I take in in for random checking they may want to keep it for a dark, cold morning! - or would a diagnostic check show something?

redqashqai

Post by redqashqai »

I assumed that this was just normal behaviour. I have had 2 of that model engine and both have displayed this characteristic. I would file it under "nothing to worry about".
Current: 2020 1.3 DIG-T QQ NTEC - Manual J11b - Magnetic Red - delivered 10.20.
Previous: 2018 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11b - Magnetic Red - delivered 09.18.
Previous: 2016 1.2 DIG-T QQ N-Connecta - Manual J11a - Flame Red - delivered 04.16.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

That bothers me as have just got a 67 plate 1.6 Connecta. Not happening here.

Its definitely power swings under load which should not happen unless there's a Battery/Alternator control problem...I'd say. Glass Heat/Lights/Fan is quite a current draw and the Power system is not keeping up...until you switch it all down or drive off I suspect.

Pulsing engine revs....seems like Power Sensing system is detecting battery output poor and trying to increase Alternator output/charging at idle.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
geoff47

Post by geoff47 »

Went out this morning, shoved on the quick clear, lights and heated rear screen, no problem. Seems it doesn't like cold mornings. The cvt is certainly strange until the engine warms up. I guess possibly just quirks. Last car was a 1.2 manual Kadjar, same engine - not as good as the QQ, I have to say!
Current QQ is a November 67 plate , bought 3 months ago with 5000 on the clock.
geoff47

Post by geoff47 »

Just a follow up - 3 weeks ago, car wouldn't start, battery appeared flat. Called AA out and they checked battery at 9 volts. Boosted it and all ok again. Popped into dealer and he said he could book it in for checking but if it happened again - call Nissan Assistance ( RAC ). Well, two days ago, guess what, wouldn't start. Called Nissan Assistance - RAC arrived in 3 hours. He said that if he runs his tests and it shows " Change Battery". If it doesn't, he can't. Battery checked and it came up " Replace Battery, low reserve ". Alternator testing fine. Changed battery ( it was a Fiamm ) for a new Varta 096 AGM. Apparently, although this is not the standard one, it is still listed as right for model and is twice the price. Seems to start a lot faster and I guess this would also account for the lighting/fan speed problem.
I will continue to switch off the Stop/Start on every run because I am sure it doesn't help.
RAC man says that this happens several times a day for him and he wonders why manufacturers don't recall these dodgy batteries instead of paying for RAC callouts.
Both the AA and RAC men switch off their Stop/ Start all the time!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Thanks for the feedback @geoff47. Terminal volts below 12v puts the chance of a good start at risk and can be seen in the hidden system status menus. I've seen mine at 11v and start ok...risky though. This forum has discussed this subject with the prime conclusion that the QQ charging system does not adequately charge the battery and there is low power usage when ignition off. Its a current drain related to system electronics exiting to a sleep mode perhaps? Or a fault?

Nissan seem to cover this whole weakness with their service charge - annual. Default Stop/Start ON is simply stupid.

Did the RAC man say anything about calibrating the Varta battery to the vehicle?
Last edited by calnorth on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
geoff47

Post by geoff47 »

Yes, the Varta Battery has been calibrated to the car by the RAC man. He picked up no drain at all with everything switched off. He also checked the new battery with everything turned on and the alternator was coping with no problem
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Thats verification that the system works to the manufacturers (design authority) specifications. It is a check and aligns more or less with the Nissan Service and Repair document.
The term calibrate battery is often used on this forum and I have not found anything in documentation or explanation. Calibration would entail adjustment or the capability to adjust/change the system following the manufacturers instructions.

Anyway, let us know what happens with the new battery. Varta is a good make as far as I know?

Colin
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta