oil filter housing removal

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Charlie99
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Charlie99 »

Hi All,

First posting so be kind:)

Decided to do an oil and oil filter change on the Qashqai the weekend. (1.2 Petrol 2015 Teckna)
Once I manged to find an 8mm square tool for the sump plug and removed then the fun really started.
I cannot budge the oil filter housing, it is stuck solid. It seems to be made of plastic with the hexagon central boss measured at 27mm, can anyone confirm.?
I managed to get hold of a 27mm socket and tried to loosen it with an impact driver but only managed to round it off.

The car has a full service history but I really doubt the filter has ever been removed since new. Also the under tray looked like it had never been taken off the car, the plastic clips were pristine with not a mark on them, very different to what they look like now.
So I ended up putting new oil in and wondering what to do next.
I see there are 27mm hexagon oil filter removal sockets available and thought these may still bite on the central boss but if anyone has any ideas I would be pleased to hear.

Thanks
Charlie

Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I always put a little hidden scratch or something on the oil filter before a service so I can confirm it's been changed. I've certainly had services where other things weren't done that were supposed to be.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
trout
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by trout »

So have I Chris, mine goes in for its second service in July, I’m keen to mark the filter also, but on the new J11b 1.5 dci I think you have to take the undercover off to access the filter?
S.
Charlie99

Post by Charlie99 »

Thanks for that link Noddy, very useful, especially the battery disconnect procedure however it didn't really give me any further details on how to move forward with my issue.
I was hoping someone who has carried out a oil filter change may have some good tips/advice.
Cheers
Charlie
Noddy1875

Post by Noddy1875 »

No offence, but you sound a bit heavy handed. Using an impact driver on a oil filter is over overkill.

If you have rounded it off to such an extent then your only option might be sticking a screwdriver in it, hoping not to damage what's underneath.
Pearl Black 65 reg Tekna. 1.5 DCI
trout

Post by trout »

I’ve always used one of these in the days I could get access to the filter.
https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/hand-tools/ ... 360a180510
As noddy says the screwdriver is a possibility, keep towards the end of the filter about 2” in and you should be safe.
S.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Charlie, you are bringing back memories of laying under cars every weekend with bloody knuckles and oil in the hair - no more can’t get on the floor anymore ! 😋.
What Steve (trout) has mentioned makes sense and there are all sorts of methods around. I found this US video which shows a few inc. the screwdriver method and the warning as Steve mentioned. Take a look Best of Luck Dave 😉
Just a suggestion if you get stuck and have no leakage do you have DIY Repair Centre or even a local workshop you could get to, it will cost but job done ?

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Charlie99

Post by Charlie99 »

Hi Chaps,
Appreciate everyone's help and suggestions.
So just to be clear the 1.2 petrol does not have a screw on type canister disposable filter, which could be removed in any number of ways including screwdriver through the side which I have resorted to in the long distant past. The filter is retained in a housing and it is the housing cover which is proving to be nigh on impossible to shift. The design is questionable to have a hexagonal central boss as the point to deliver the force putting a huge twisting motion as the threaded portion which is on about an 80mm O/D and the whole assembly is made of plastic.
Wish I had taken a photo of it to show clearly the set up.
Anyway if anyone has had to tackle this problem I would welcome any solutions
Cheers
Charlie
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Charlie, just to clear things up is this the Oil Filter System Area you have the problem with - Thanks Dave 😉

541A9C95-C6BC-490B-A4D5-045531D87ED7.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken