oil filter housing removal

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
fras23
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by fras23 »

Monkey wrench or locking pliers? Assuming you need a new bolt you could grind the head off, remove the housing and the stud should unwind once its free of the housing.

Charlie99
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Charlie99 »

Hi Chaps,

I have got an update that I thought I would share as some of you hands on mechanics may find useful.
I have been fortunate to make contact with a guy who worked at Nissan was heavily involved with the implementation of the 1.2 petrol Renault engine, a very good guy to know.
He said many trials were carried out in the factory on this housing. They concluded, possibly due to the seal design, the housing has a self tightening effect and even when tightened to the correct torque of 25 NM, after a period of time the torque needed to release it was often very high. The recommendation to reduce this effect is ensure the seal is well lubricated with clean oil , tighten to correct torque, release and then re-torque.
I have also discovered Nissan sell a kit that includes filter and new housing cover, part no 15208-00Q1E, cost £22 which seems pretty reasonable and I have bought one.
So I have acquired a hex head 27mm socket and will give it another go.
Cheers
Charle
Steadysteve

Post by Steadysteve »

Thanks for the info Charlie.
How did you get on - did you free it up.

I will attempt to do oil filter change today on the same replaceable element type. Forewarned is forearmed!
Charlie99

Post by Charlie99 »

Hi SS

It was a real PITA. The hexagonal centre boss was completely rounded off and using grips on it was hopeless.The only way I could remove the housing cover was drill holes through it towards the outer circumference and use a chisel to get it moving. It was a scary job drilling the housing, as I wasn't sure what was behind the area I was drilling. Anyway I managed to get it undone and made sure I put plenty of oil on the new one and reseated it a couple of times as recommended by my Nissan friend.
Hopefully yours comes undone easily and my experience was absolutely the worst case.
C
Steadysteve

Post by Steadysteve »

Did mine today.
I have worked on various cars and racing cars for years.
So have all sorts of tools.

I loosened the oil filter housing by alternating some undoing torque and then some doing up torque.
After a few back and forths the housing budged. Nut shape in tact.
This was using a large correct sized hex impact socket. These have just 6 sides.
Oiled seal, torqued up, released and retorqued as per the above.

Another tip would be to put some copper disassembly paste on the threads of the undertray bolts..