Boost pressure suddenly dropping with air release noise

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
fras23
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by fras23 »

Hi!

I have a problem where I rev up beyond 2k revs and I hear what sounds like the high pitched squeek of air being released and loss of power. I hooked up my obd reader and I can see that boost pressure drops when the noise occurrs. The moment the noise/pressure drop occurrs varies between 8 bar and 16 bar.

Am I right in thinking this is a leak on the outlet side of the turbo somewhere? I have stuck my head under the bonnet but I am struggling to figure out where the noise is coming from, it seems to be more towards the back of the engine where the EGR/turbo/intercooler outlet are located.

Does anyone know if there is a usual culprit for this kind of problem? I also have an exhaust leak in the engine bay from the same area so from my reading I am wondering if they are both linked to a broken egr or egr link pipe, but this is guess work!

I have it booked in at the garage on Friday and will report back, but I like to learn as much as I can beforehand so I can follow what the mechanic is saying.