HELP PLEASE BEFORE THE GARAGE START CHANGING PARTS!!

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Cloudy
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Cloudy »

Hi,

2015 QQ (48K miles) was making a whistle on acceleration for about a week so I took it in for a full service. Only issues found were brake discs. Left and there was a different whistling noise at low revs, which would go above 1500rpm. Took the car back to the garage the following day and they suspected the turbo actuator. By this time the new whistle was more constant and I didn't make it home.

I left the garage and within 5 miles I was struggling for power, within another 1/2 mile there was thick white smoke from the exhaust so managed to get into the petrol station where it stooled and wouldn't restart (clicking noise).

Recovered home and a mechanic looked over it. Oil/diesel in the exhaust, glow plugs drenched in oil. Now it's in the garage and they have said it needs a new starter motor and fusible link (£660) before they can diagnose what happened.... they want to start at 9am tomorrow.

Only brought the car 5 months ago and might be looking at £2,500+ without some impartial guidance..

Please HELP!!!

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Sounds like they did something during the service that has broken your car, I would start pointing a finger at the garage. Whistling could be a burst/broken pipe after the turbocharger. Get someone to rev the engine & listen for an air/whistle sound.

Good luck.
Cloudy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:32 pm Hi,

2015 QQ (48K miles) was making a whistle on acceleration for about a week so I took it in for a full service. Only issues found were brake discs. Left and there was a different whistling noise at low revs, which would go above 1500rpm. Took the car back to the garage the following day and they suspected the turbo actuator. By this time the new whistle was more constant and I didn't make it home.

I left the garage and within 5 miles I was struggling for power, within another 1/2 mile there was thick white smoke from the exhaust so managed to get into the petrol station where it stooled and wouldn't restart (clicking noise).

Recovered home and a mechanic looked over it. Oil/diesel in the exhaust, glow plugs drenched in oil. Now it's in the garage and they have said it needs a new starter motor and fusible link (£660) before they can diagnose what happened.... they want to start at 9am tomorrow.

Only brought the car 5 months ago and might be looking at £2,500+ without some impartial guidance..

Please HELP!!!
Cloudy

Post by Cloudy »

Thanks for your reply.

Pointed to the garage (halfords - I know, i know) but they are not accepting any responsibility as they are saying nothing on full service would impact the turbo...

Never had any problems with starting so if it is the Turbo, could it have caused a surge which damaged the fusible link and starter motor?
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

probably not, but I guess nothing can be ruled out. I would still recommend checking the pipework.
Cloudy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm Thanks for your reply.

Pointed to the garage (halfords - I know, i know) but they are not accepting any responsibility as they are saying nothing on full service would impact the turbo...

Never had any problems with starting so if it is the Turbo, could it have caused a surge which damaged the fusible link and starter motor?
Gel

Post by Gel »

Would never contemplate using the H lot! Bite your wallet and use a Nissan dealer; by doing so you get your
s/ware updated for free, an outlet with correct diagnostics kit,
and a years EU breakdown cover thrown in. (Covered by RAC in UK/Eire).
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Cloudy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm Thanks for your reply.

Nothing on the service would impact it but you said it went back in the following day for them to investigate it and then it happened - so not the service itself, but what they did the second day.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Cloudy

Post by Cloudy »

Thanks for your help.. all they did on the second day was rev & check, but another mechanic said if they overfilled the oil it could worsen a problem with the turbo or damage the engine?

Anyway - after a few heated discussions today with customer services at the dealer where I purchased the car and finally speaking to a nice customer service manager, they are collecting the car on Monday and will investigate and resolve if they cannot prove it isn't something that was there when I purchased the car 5 months ago under the consumer rights act. I think it will be hard for them to prove there wasn't an inherent fault with the turbo unless they stripped it down before advertising it (which is highly unlikely)...

Fingers crossed!!
Cloudy

Post by Cloudy »

So turns out it was the turbo.. The dealer is covering all work under the Consumer Rights Act (thankfully), as so far they have changed the starter motor, turbo and called Friday to say they are now replacing the engine!
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Crikey...where is that dealer?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Don't know if QQ's are different, but with diagnostic tools, normally, you don't need the engine running as faults are stored in the system, you only need to turn the ignition on. I use an iCarsoft on my cars, worked on the Mercedes and I am sure it will work on the QQ it is not model specific although they are available.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.