Qashqai 1.6dci P1485 & P1486

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
drfish
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by drfish »

Howdo folks,

I've had this issue for about a year or so now, and aside from an annoying EML displayed constantly, it's never caused the car any issues. Basically, the flap within the exhaust that closes to help heat the DPF is stuck open. Car has done 84k so little chance of freeing it up, and it's already been butchered anyway by the looks of it.

I've done lots of research, I know what the issue is, and how to resolve it, but have a small conundrum.

So, the official Nissan part to fix this is part no 20010bb60b, which is the full exhaust section I presume, containing said flappy valve.

Through my research, I have noticed that Renault do a part that resolves this issue, but using just the valve section of the exhaust, on part number 147253272R. this involved cutting out the offending section and replacing with the new smaller part, and using exhaust sleeves to bridge the sections.

The difference between the two is £552 vs £140 respectively. As you can imagine, I'd rather do the cheaper option and just replace the section with the valve, rather than what is an otherwise good condition full exhaust section. It also brings the advantage of if it goes again, it's a much quicker fix to just replace that smaller bit.

Does anyone know if the Renault part will be pattern matched to the Nissan exhaust? Are they interchangeable in other words? I can't find any online info to suggest that the Renault and Nissan exhaust are the same shape/size, and neither Nissan or Renault seem willing to confirm.

Has anyone done this fix, or know for definite if the two exhausts are the same?

Many TIA.

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I have absolutely no idea, sorry.

However, might it be worth asking at your local exhaust franchise ?
My local kwik-fit are a friendly bunch and I imagine they'd answer a question like this despite the fact that they won't (I presume) get the work.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
drfish

Post by drfish »

Unfortunately, it's a dealer only part from what I can gather, so they may not even have that info either. B&M Exhausts factory is next door to where I work, so I was going to pop in on the off-chance they may know. Maybe prompt them into manufacturing them too ;-)

Thanks anyway.
drfish

Post by drfish »

Update to this:

My mechanic friend (wife's uncle) decided to try a workaround on it at the weekend (bodge, in laymans terms), which has worked a treat, and is seemingly undetectable, at the expense of not being able to do a cold cycle of the DPF. Where the exhaust meets the motor for the flap, there's a little keyway that drives the flap (the flap was absolutely solid in the exhaust. Managed to free it a little, but not enough for correct operation). Uncle spannerhands, as I call him, was able to separate the motor from the exhaust, and manipulate the lugs that locate into the keyhole of the flap, so the motor thinks it's doing its thing, but the flap itself doesn't move. Shouldn't affect anything as long as it gets a good run quite often to force a normal DPF regen. No warning light since, except the f*&^in Airbag light which illuminated the same morning we did the exhaust and is going into the garage tomorrow to be diagnosed and fixed.
Washington

Post by Washington »

Did you manage to resolve this? I've got a QQ+2 1.6 with 155,000 km on it that's due for inspection in September, so this is something that needs to be fixed soon, even though it doesn't seem to be causing any problems (P1485 and once P1484 have come up). The Renault part is readily available on eBay.de, or the Polish equivalent Allegro, so that shouldn't be a problem. Cutting an exhaust and installing the new part is probably within my abilities, too, though will need a good set of ramps to get under there, or I can get someone to do it for me. But it would be good to have some confirmation that this part (147253272R) will do the trick.
Washington

Post by Washington »

Here's how I fixed this, based on comments other people made on the web: Try to move the valve back and forth. If you can get it to move at all, keep spraying WD-40 on it so it moves a little more as you push it forwards and backwards. It will be very stiff. Add some ceramic paste, and keep moving the valve backwards and forwards. Repeat this 200-300 times until you can move the valve with your fingers and it goes all the way from open to closed. Problem is now fixed. Clear the codes. If they return, try doing this a little more, the valve may still be too stiff.

If it's completely stuck, I suspect the OP's suggestion with the Renault part will work. The valve itself is made by Pierburg but having it attached to a segment of exhaust pipe means no need for welding. It's easy to find on eBay.
Chriss85

Post by Chriss85 »

Hi I am having the same problem with my 2012 Qashqai. I spent quite a while freeing up the valve with wd40 which started to work. However the spring connecting to the valve was as corroded as the valve and it snapped so now I am in the market for a exhaust valve unit. Has anyone got anymore info on the compatibility of the £140 Renault part?
Carlos1222

Post by Carlos1222 »

Hi all I had this issue and released the valve, which didn’t work. I also had the start stop fault occur. I ordered the Renault part 147253272R and the local garage fitted it. They were able to insert the part into the old exhaust and weld it. After which all sorted the engine light and start stop light went out and Qashqai is running perfectly again. It does work people and saves lots of money.
Chriss85

Post by Chriss85 »

So in the end I ordered a reconditioned exhaust valve unit from nissan I had to wait around 3 months for this to arrive from Japan. I had it fitted and also had to have the DPF professionally cleaned as the DPF was so clogged up due to the original broken exhaust valve not closing to allow re gen. I have taken it for a drive for the first time after many months and have found code 1485 has re appeared again :x has anyone got any ideas?