Stop/Start warning + not starting

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
slitza
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by slitza »

Hi All,

I've read every thread I could find on this and other forums but cannot find a solution yet to Qashqai that won't start using the start/stop button.
I have a 2015 Qashqai 1.6 dci cvt acenta tech. I'll give a list of the issues experienced and things I've tried to do:

Issues experienced:
- "Start/Stop System Fault" warning when turning the car electronics on.
- "Key System Fault"warning when turning the car electronics on (I think this warning disappears sometime, but can't tell for sure yet)
- "Chassis Control System Fault" warning when turning the car electronics on. (I believe this may have been from a brake caliper pot sticking and keeping the brake pads engaged. I've cleaned the calipers but doesn't appear to remove the warning, yet)
- After placing key fob against start/stop button (audible beep), stepping on the brake and pressing the start/stop button (as the console tells me to), I can hear a click sound possibly somewhere inside the left side of the dash, but the engine doesn't crank.
- OBDII scanner doesn't return any engine VIN number.

Things I've tried:
- Purchased a brand new EFB battery that matches the specs explicitly given by the local Nissan dealer.
- Both key fobs batteries replaced with good brand name cr2032's.
- Car cranks and starts without any struggle when I run a wire from an electrical terminal connected to the front, lower middle of the engine and touching the positive pole on the battery. The car will also idle smoothly, indefinitely and will accelerate+wheels turn when stepping on the fuel pedal.
- OBDII fault code reader reported 0 codes when I had the car off + running idle the last weekend.

Things yet to try:
- checking fuses on battery positive terminal cable
- checking all (5, apparently) earth connections
- reconnect "bonnet closed" sensor and tie it down to read as though the bonnet is closed
- inspect cables hidden out of view for damage (I read some owner was told an engine harness cable chaffed and broke)

I don't think it should make much of a difference, but currently the entire bumper assembly with lights, radiator support and wheels are off while working on the car. There are no loose EGI harness plugs though, just bumper harness plugs.
I've read that new batteries sometimes need to be programmed before the car may start using the start/stop button. I found a method to try and reset the ECU which I'll try next and see if it changes anything.
I'm still searching for other things to try, but I'm not really finding anymore new suggestions. Can anyone advise on more options for me to try? My current aim is to get the start/stop ignition process to work, after which I'll take it to the dealer for an inspection.