Starter failure almost burned car

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Tomco
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Tomco »

Hi all,

just to inform you, after 9 months of happy ride, yesterday I had major error. In the morning I went out of garage and normally turned off the car, and wait for my wife to come (sound familiar :) ) BUT when I started I again I get nothing on instrument board except warning orange light for automatic brake. Then I restarted the car again hoping that the warning light will go, but it was the same. I tried to drive few meters but servo wasn`t working. Turned the car off again but some strange rattling sound was coming from engine. Opened the hood and engine was still running, belt was moving, That was strange! I tried to turned it off again with Start/stop button but without result. AND THAN WHITE SMOKE STARTED TO COME OUT FROM FRONT PART OF ENGINE (STARTER COMPARTMENT). Panically I started to pull of wires from battery, but they were too tight. And more and more smoke was coming every second from engine. Finally I succeeded to take off plus cable from battery. I would say in last second or so. And than engine calm down, and smoke and smell of burning isolation gradually decreased.
Today in service garage they just briefly said that starter was fault and that they will order new one in few days.
Do you have any comments or suggestion what to change/check the to prevent it to happen again? Apologies for longer post.
2018/10, J11b, 1.2 DIG-T N-Connecta, Vivid Blue, Zagreb, Croatia