Boost Hose - Lack of Power

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Lezz
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Lezz »

Thought I would post my recent experience (for anyone out there that may have the same or similar issues) - as I read many posts on this forum to try and understand what the problem was with my Qashqai and I did not come across the actual issue I had:

Initial issue - the common (I believe) split intake (boost hose) - the one at the top right hand side of the engine (1.5DCI) that feeds the turbo - red light on dash - car in limp mode - towed to local garage off the motorway (having driven a few miles to safety with red light on dash)

New (genuine Nissan) hose assembly fitted (as the mechanic could easily visually detect the split) at a cost of +£66 (just for the hose!!) - all codes cleared - but the engine lacked power (no boost) - spent 5 days at the garage (they even called the Nissan main dealer for advice) trying to get to the bottom of the problem because there were NO ERROR CODES in the ECU even after road testing the car - they informed me everything was checked (Turbo, DPF, sensors and hoses etc) - no issue found and the problem still remained and I would need to take the car to a Nissan main dealer for further analysis - yeah right!! who's got the Vaseline?.

Drove the car home from local garage (slowly) could not get more than 2500 revs out of it or any acceleration power (when in gear) but it would rev freely in neutral - spoke to a friend who suggested that the EGR could be jammed OPEN (following the initial problem of the split hose and excessive exhaust gases whilst driving in limp mode) and no code would show if this was indeed the issue (as the ECU does not necessarily pick up an open EGR as an issue and also I would not be able to achieve boost (with a jammed open EGR) as all exhaust gases would escape and not spin the turbo - seemed logical (to my very limited knowledge of Diesel Turbos!!) - but I'll leave any further comment to you experts

Anyways the FIX - gently tap the EGR (and I emphasise GENTLY) with handle of a screw driver to free it off the jammed open position - and yes you've guessed it hey presto a five second fix that the garage (or apparently Nissan) could not sort out in 5 days...……………………………… Car runs like a dream (well as much of a dream that you can expect from a Qashqai) - it's all back to normal

Hope this may help some one who may experience similar issues - apologies if it is already known and I just couldn't find the right thread...…...

Pyps

Post by Pyps »

This is exactly what I needed to read today. I’m really hoping you might have helped me the solve my ongoing saga.

I’m going to have a look this afternoon. Tell me, will it be obviously jammed open?
Lezz

Post by Lezz »

There is no (or wasn't in my case) any obvious visual indication that the EGR was jammed open - basically its a component part (that unless you dismantle it) the actual working parts cannot be seen.

To free my EGR from the fully open position (jammed) took a gentle tap and then all was back to normal.

just to add - I have undertaken further inspections in the engine bay today and despite having a full service only 6 months ago I found an air filter that looked like it had been in there since the car left the factory (in 2014) - I've replaced this today and the car seems to run even better (or maybe just my imagination?)

Hope you manage to sort your problem - try a gentle tap on the EGR...………………….
Lezz

Post by Lezz »

Additional observations:

I have owned the car for just over a year - when I bought it (became a grandad) I moved from Toyota MR2's (weekend toy) and a 1.6 fiesta (that was extremely nippy) as I needed the load space etc in the Qashqai.

Anyways my Observations over the past couple of days and short history from first purchase:
Upon first driving the Qashqai (after initial purchase) I thought it was underpowered (took more revs than I thought it should to move off) - the actual MPG was not so good ~43 around town and 50ish on a M'way run and I also noticed the MPG meter would fluctuate eraticaly on a flat road with no movement on the pedal - I put all this down to my driving style - crappy MPG meter and the fact it was a family car: not an MR2 or a nippy fiesta...…………………..wrong?

All of the above have now changed since the fitting of the new hose/air filter - less revs and easier to move off - the MPG is already up to 46.1 short runs around town!! & the MPG meter is as good as rock steady (no more erratic fluctuation). I'm off up to Scotland next week (800 mile round trip) we'll see what the MPG returns after that - at this rate I may hit 60 at least??!!

MY Conclusion; the hose and or air filter have always been suspect - maybe the hose had a small spit that manifested into the full on separation (and then caused the codes - complete loss of power)? - who knows? but a bit more info for anybody that may wish to carry out some checks.

I for one will be purchasing a spare hose (chuck it in the boot for just in case) as it would appear to be a common weak spot on these motors - I have a little code reader so that will now be in the boot as well - considering the low mileage (27000 now and only just over 18000 when purchased) and the alleged service history I'm less than impressed with the car and the garage I purchased from - eh ho being a grandad is fun though - I might just get me a little MR2 for the weekends again...……………………….
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Pyps and Lezz - welcome to this forum
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Aaron613

Post by Aaron613 »

Hi, i am a beginner. How do i find the ERG to tap it?