Engine , salvageable?

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Pigsickmick
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by Pigsickmick »

Hi all, new here, in the search for some advice, hope, and Devine inspiration πŸ™„
Cut it short;
1.6deisel 4x4 , 62plate.
Timing chain jumped at 85k, and in the grand scheme of things I reckon I got off lightly. Or did I.
Still started , but put it in for repair. Mechanic fitted a new timing chain , car started, after some heavy persuasion. Evident lack of power, but sounded ok. Drove car home, about 10 miles, and it ran, ok, given the damage although with a noticeable lack of power, that is until I hit higher revs, when it took off at speed.
Mechanic reckons maybe a bent or broken rocker, or a bent valve.
He is recommending however a NEW ENGINE!
Now I kinda know my way around cars and engines, so my question is....
Is it possible to repair the offending valve/rocker? I’m being told the biggest obstacle is getting the injectors out, which need to happen first. Surely it can’t be that difficult?
Very reluctant to go for an engine replacement, as this one was fine until it went.
Would absolutely appreciate any info from the guys in the know on here.

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I would think the minimum needed was a head removal to check the damage. Dropped valves are usually much more catastrophic and don't let the engine run smoothly. It is possible you have only burnt out one of the valves, but as said without the head removal its guesswork.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
Pigsickmick

Post by Pigsickmick »

Qashowner wrote: ↑Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:22 pm I would think the minimum needed was a head removal to check the damage. Dropped valves are usually much more catastrophic and don't let the engine run smoothly. It is possible you have only burnt out one of the valves, but as said without the head removal its guesswork.
Thnks for the reply πŸ‘
That's my thinking too. As I said tho , the mech' says getting the injectors out can be very awkward , and need pulled, twisted,drilled , batterered , fried and sauted!!! And that could cost as much as an engine, apparently.
I figure it can't be that hard? Hoping to hear from someone that's done this before πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘
Qashowner

Post by Qashowner »

Just had a quick look on ebay, and there are quite a few QQ breaking for spares, might be worth having a chat with some of the breakers.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
RRR
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by RRR »

You write that the engine lacks power. If a valve has been hit by a piston and it won't open/close properly, I would think that the engine would run on 3 legs. If that's the case, a piston, connecting rod and/or crankshaft bearing could also be damaged. It would be very disappointing to find out that a piston/rod/bearing has been damaged, after you've removed the head (whatever effort that may take if the injectors are stuck). There are plenty of video's on Youtube of injectors and/or glowplugs that won't come out. That doesn't mean that yours are frozen also. I would try to get the injectors out and if they don't come out right away, opt for another motor. It takes a lot of time to drill them out and time is money. The downside of swapping the engine is that, since the engine is already out, you probably also want to replace the clutchplate and pressure group. That's another 400/500 Euro's.
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Has the timing chain been aligned correctly?
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
Pigsickmick

Post by Pigsickmick »

The engine def running on all fours. That’s a thought tho, re timing chain . Might get that checked again first .
Will update afterwards πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘
Pigsickmick

Post by Pigsickmick »

Does anyone know where to get a workshop repair manual for my car , Qashqai Tekna Is +2 Dci 4x4, 2012
Haynes doesnt have one. Ive just paid for a very technical downloaded pdf manual, but cant really get to grips with it. It seems to cover all models except mine ! Maybe someone knows of one for dummies?
About to pull the engine apart, see if i can get some answers on the above topic.
Would appreciate the help.
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Haynes?

Why do you think they don't do one?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

https://cardiagn.com/nissan-qashqai-model-j10-series-electronic-service-manual/

Sorry - ignore that - it's coming up as 07-10
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)