Engine Management Lights are on?! Help needed please x

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Bex69
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Bex69 »

Hi, my lovely Qashqai had a warning ‘Engine oil level low’ for a few days. I’ve now put oil in and the warning has gone.
However, at the same time 2 engine management lights have illuminated. One in amber and one in red.
I scrolled through the Settings and it does not show any warnings there at all.
Had major service in February at main dealer, so I was surprised the oil level was so low by mid October anyway, as no sign of oil leak. Is that normal to need so much oil after only 6 1/2 months does any know?
Also, does any know know if the warning lights I know have are connected to this or coincidental?
I’m still driving it daily so I hope it’s nothing too major.
The only other thing I’ve noticed the last week or so is that at higher speeds (motorway driving etc) there seems to be a temporary ‘lull’ in performance, literally a split second it seems to pull back and then be fine again.
I’m not sure of the correct terminology of these things but hopefully you’ll get the gist!
Before yesterday I’d never opened the bonnet! Lol 😂
Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Bex x

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Not sure I can help, but....

Please can you say what year your car is and which engine and gearbox it has installed.
That information will assist the next knowledgeable person to read your message.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Whats the mileage on this car?

The common faults we see on this forum and that lead to ECU red lights etc are related to problems arising after the engine which would include exhaust and turbo. DPF and/or Oxygen sensors (O2 or Lambda). So the engine cannot calculate the correct engine fuelling from sensors and related components in these fault areas.

Such faults generally lead to poor performance and the ECU error lights you see.

The car needs to be tested using ODB 2 fault code tools and probably at a Nissan dealer. The fault(s) can be pinpointed that way....guessing won't work. The procedure and fix will include emissions checks...MOT failure if out of spec.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Hi, it’s a 2015 1.6 tdci Accenta 4wd version, diesel.
Sorry, should have stayed that in first post
Thanks 😊
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Thank you for your reply.
The mileage is 70,000
Think I’d better take it to Nissan then.
Do you think these lights are connected to the ‘Engine oil low’ warning from last week? 🤷🏼‍♀️
Many thanks
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Bex69 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 am Hi, it’s a 2015 1.6 tdci Accenta 4wd version, diesel.
Sorry, should have stayed that in first post
Thanks 😊
Its not really old. Or high miler?

Oil either leaks or is burnt off, the latter clogging the exhaust to some extent and disrupting the sensors/turbo as I mentioned. I'd get back to your garage PDQ.

I suspect you are driving and the warning lights are on....always?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Thank you for your reply.
The mileage is 70,000
Think I’d better take it to Nissan then.
Do you think these lights are connected to the ‘Engine oil low’ warning from last week? 🤷🏼‍♀️
Many thanks
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Hi, yes I’m still driving it as it feels fine most of the time, except if I’m driving faster on the motorway and then I feel a sudden pull / lull in the speed but only last a second or 2?!
Do you think I’m causing more damage by driving it, should I stop until it’s been checked?
Thank you, sorry I don’t have a clue
Bex
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Bex69 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:24 am Hi, yes I’m still driving it as it feels fine most of the time, except if I’m driving faster on the motorway and then I feel a sudden pull / lull in the speed but only last a second or 2?!
Do you think I’m causing more damage by driving it, should I stop until it’s been checked?
Thank you, sorry I don’t have a clue
Bex
If its behaving as you say and oil has disappeared I'd restrict use and get to a garage for advice. The oil light relates to oil pressure and that likely oil level is low. You fill it with oil and the light will go off... if its not an oil pressure problem. The engine has an oil pump.

The red warning lights indicate something wrong and the cars engine electronics has recorded fault codes. Those fault codes can be examined and best by Nissan. They can then fix the fault(s) and delete those codes.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

I filled the car with oil yesterday and the ‘engine oil low’ error / warning has gone but now I’m left with the amber and red engine management symbols on the dashboard so I’m not sure if connected to the low oil warning?
Thank you for your advice, I’ll call Nissan and get it booked in x