Engine Management Lights are on?! Help needed please x

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Bex69 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:55 am I filled the car with oil yesterday and the ‘engine oil low’ error / warning has gone but now I’m left with the amber and red engine management symbols on the dashboard so I’m not sure if connected to the low oil warning?
Thank you for your advice, I’ll call Nissan and get it booked in x
The warning lights are related to an engine system fault and remain until identified and fixed. They are very serious and probably not oil related. Have it checked and let us know please,
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

Bex69
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Bex69 »

Ok, I’ll get it checked out as soon as possible and let you know.
Thank you so much for your advice
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Hi, well my lovely car was towed to Nissan garage yesterday by a nice RAC man and I’ve just had a call from the Nissan technician who’s just looked at it....
It’s definitely the DPF and they’ve removed 54 (of some unit of measurement) from the filter as it was clogged. They are trying a ‘regeneration’ (I think that’s what he said lol) at a cost of £300 but if that doesn’t work, I’ll need a new DPF at an estimated cost of between £2000-£3000!!
I asked why it happened and they said driving short journeys could cause it. But, at least once a week I take it on a long motorway run to airport, visiting family in Essex, Cambridge etc (I’m in Reading) so I can’t see it being that!?
The car is only 4 years old and serviced yearly at Nissan. I’m so upset and can’t believe this is normal?
Any advise appreciated please.
Thank you, Bex x 😢
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Its the prime Diesel ailment as far as I'm aware. I only use Diesels on hire.

Its likely grammes of soot. Look at a small bottle of something you have at home. If its a 100 gramme bottle then half of it (soot) is clogging the DPF.

The car initialises an auto regeneration periodically during a long run which keeps it clear of soot/muck. I am not familiar with the sequence but the prices related to that DPF business kept me away from them.

If the auto generation fails for some reason the DPF will degrade/block. Long-ish journeys are critical and the DPF may not have failed.

Below is the RAC on the subject. The car needs checked for a few other problems related to fuel control as well. Nissan should check those so ask them what they checked when this problem gets to end. EGR valve and fuel injectors are the two main offenders.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/diesel-particulate-filters/
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Thank you for your reply.
Should this really have happened on a 4 year old car that was only in Nissan having its major service 8 months ago?
Would it be covered under any warranty?
Many thanks
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

A car at 70k miles is getting near wear out/unreliable limits of certain parts. And with exhaust components (sensors etc) time comes up at about 70k and perhaps earlier in some cases. Nissans scheduled maintenance would tell you/them at what age such exhaust components have to be changed before performance gets unreliable.

I don't have the Diesel maintenance schedule. If you have the last servicing sheet see if the DPF was checked. Doubt it was other than the emissions test...a gas sniffer. This fairly simple stuff becomes MOT failure immediately because of emission laws.

Non Genuine DPF units are about £500 max on the web. Why Nissan are in the thousands I don't know but I'd challenge them about that price. It of course includes fitting etc and VAT. At 70k you are best changing it really because its not going to last much longer. Sorry I said that.

Of course yours might recover...fingers crossed.... ;)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Aw that makes me sad, but thank you for all of your help and honesty.
My next question would be, should I even get it done or just scrap the car!? Seems so extreme for such a young car 😢🙄
I don’t want to pay out thousands if it won’t cure it completely.
Aw my poorly car 😕
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Not scrap it...sell it on with new or regenerated DPF perhaps. 70k in the life of the engine itself is not a lot. These emissions sensors/filters are lifed much earlier than the engine. Diesel these days is not a good place to go I'd say. Electric is looney so Petrol it is?

The diesel engine needs the right oil in it...check with Nissan.

I had a BMW that was just perfect until 70k came along. Exhaust sensor failed and me fixing it was £70 and no doubt a BMW fix would have been a lot more. Had to dump the car at 140k (12 yrs old) because of rust and paint peeling off. But that was a very simple car compared to yours and mine now.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

I'd noticed that Nissan have been putting a full page warning in their brochures for some time now. Clearly they know it's an issue and are trying to absolve themselves of any involvement.

In particular:

As ‘SERVICE REGENERATION’ is not a manufacturing fault, so the cost will NOT be covered under warranty.

dpf.JPG

(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

Oh wow! That’s very interesting!!
🤷🏼‍♀️🙄😫