Engine Management Lights are on?! Help needed please x

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
Bex69
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Bex69 »

I totally understand the need for the DPF to be regularly serviced and maintained but my argument lies with Nissan for not advising of this need!
People who don’t know an awful lot about the servicing and mechanics of a car put their trust in the main dealers! Like I said previously, Nissan were quick to call me and try to ‘sell’ me other service related products. Like a DAB radio software upgrade, even a new battery as mine was at 92%, but failed to offer me a DPF service, which I think is far more important than sorting my stereo out!?
How many elderly people or less knowledgeable people (like myself) would even know about a DPF or the importance of it?

gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Well I suggest you shouldn't NEED a DPF Service if the car's being run properly. It's not a regular maintenance item. It's only needed if regeneration hasn't happened, either because of driving style/habit or following the warning lights coming on and being ignored.

You yourself stated that you initially ignored them? :

Also, does any know know if the warning lights I know have are connected to this or coincidental?
I’m still driving it daily so I hope it’s nothing too major.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

The car is being run properly, regularly goes on long trips etc.
No, no no! I was referring to the initial oil warning light which went off after I filled up with oil!
And I also meant that the car is in general use daily by myself! When the amber light came on, I rang Nissan and they said book it in for the following week as just a warning. When the red light came on a day later, I called them back and they said call Nissan Assist and don’t drive it, which I didn’t
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The map update might be FOC and depending on date...argue with them. The DAB radio update is FOC because they had a distinct problem that only got fixed by Nissan in the last 3 months....again argue with them and refer them to the DAB complaints on this site. If that don't work call/email Nissan HQ direct and quote the DAB update recently and your VIN/Reg number...DAB update is usually FOC I can assure you. They will arrange updating for you FOC.

Regeneration is automatic....until it isn't and dependant on DPF age. It is common to all diesels but the big price remains on replacement I think. Yours is not dead yet...is it?
Last edited by calnorth on Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

They told me I had to pay £129.99 for the DAB update!
I’m beginning to not like Nissan and how they operate!
Thank you for your advice again
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Bex69 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 am They told me I had to pay £129.99 for the DAB update!
I’m beginning to not like Nissan and how they operate!
Thank you for your advice again
Actually, as we here know...its not Nissan, its individual dealer gamers! A lady here got it done FOC immediate with no argument in Lincoln couple of weeks back.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Bex69

Post by Bex69 »

That’s great, thank you! I shall definitely take the DAB radio issue up with them!
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Nissan may tell what they think caused the orange followed by the red warning light. I'd be guessing if I told you, but:

1. You may have a fuelling problem as regards the fuel injectors in the engine...could over/under fuel if too old?
2. There are two gas sensors and they are either side of the DPF filter unit in the exhaust pipe system. Again likely too old?

The first sensor checks for correct combustion and the second checks that the DPF has cleaned the exhaust gas up adequately. Either of those two sensors can raise the red light warning. The orange warning light symbolises something being done...say the automatic and periodic DPF cleaning/regen. If it extinguishes then job done. The red light appearing maybe because the regen/clean didn't work adequately...thus emissions are wrong and you are breaking the law for one. So the garage will now check combustion and exhaust systems totally I'd say....and thats not a "service". Its a test and repair procedure.

At 70k and no major fuel and exhaust components having being changed....its near time I'd say.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta