Clutch pedal sort of spring feel

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
pacojones
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by pacojones »

Hi guys,

I have a '19 QQ 1.5 DCI with 700 km (Portugal).

Since its 300 kilometers (had the car for one week) the clutch pedal began to behave strangely, I'll try to explain. When I press it, from the middle of the path until is fully pressed, and when I leave it, from fully pressed until middle, even though it is NOT heavy, it is sort of sticky. It does not make any sound, what happens is that I feel some sort of spring forcing when I press or release the pedal.

More strange, if I turn the car off and press the pedal, it goes down or up nicelly as it should. This happens only when the car is on and happens always, when its hot or cold engine.

Changing gears works perfectly, no difficulty, no sound comes from the engine (no bearing or spring sound coming from the engine).
Tried to lub the pedal spring with WD-40 but made no difference.

Will take to the dealer on the next days but I'd like to know first if anyone had this sort of issue.

Thank you

DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Pacojones, must admit I have not heard of this problem. Might be worth a look on the web to see what is there or use the “Search” Area. Best option though is your Dealer & Guarantee - Dave 😏

https://www.google.de/search?q=nissan+qashqai+pedal+pressure&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-de&client=safari
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Don't think we've seen it on this forum. Clutch system is simple..so hopefully a simple fix?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
pacojones

Post by pacojones »

Thanks guys, probably will go to dealer thursday let's try to sort this out. Then I'll share gere!
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

I have exactly this issue on my 2019 1.3 Dig-T !

Dealer initially said it was 'normal', but I persisted and they agreed in the end and it is in this week for a new clutch slave cylinder.

The loan QQ I have is identical in every way (even colour!), and it feels absolutely fine, just like my previous QQ did.
2018 Qashqai Tekna + DCT Dig-T 160
LucaModric

Post by LucaModric »

The exact same issue on my 2015 J11 Qash. Local Nissan mechanic (Croatia) said it was normal. Did not fix it. Beside strange feeling on the clutch, had no problems whatsoever.
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

Got the car back with new slave cylinder. Not better but different. The not-smooth feeling is now at the top of the pedal movement, not the bottom!
LucaModric

Post by LucaModric »

phatboy wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:28 pm Got the car back with new slave cylinder. Not better but different. The not-smooth feeling is now at the top of the pedal movement, not the bottom!
Sorry to hear that. As a comfort, and based on my 4-year experience, it should be nothing serious. Just annoying a bit.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

Thats detectable non linear travel of any of the moving components....hydraulic or mechanical resistance. Thats wrong and should be pretty much smooth/constant And it appears changing the slave cylinder has changed the point of greater resistance from bottom to top of pedal travel.

I'd hope that the travel of the clutch itself (in/out) was normal? Quite some force needed there.

Other than that, pedal pressure is against two springs. One in the master and one in the slave cylinder. Hydraulic fluid can be considered a solid rod.

Question is.... whats changed on slave cylinder replacement? Below is not a Dual Mass system.

shutterstock_468642173.jpg

Last edited by calnorth on Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
phatboy

Post by phatboy »

calnorth wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:05 am Thats detectable non linear travel of any of the moving components....hydraulic or mechanical resistance. Thats wrong and should be pretty much smooth/constant And it appears changing the slave cylinder has changed the point of greater resistance from bottom to top of pedal travel.

I'd hope that the travel of the clutch itself (in/out) was normal? Quite some force needed there.

Other than that, pedal pressure is against two springs. One in the master and one in the slave cylinder. Hydraulic fluid can be considered a solid rod.

Question is.... whats changed on slave cylinder replacement?
Thanks for that, very interesting!

I drove a few miles last night and again this morning, and I think it's sort of 'bedding in' and starting to feel better. Time will tell I guess....

I have very little faith in the dealer to be honest, buying the car and then the issues I'm experiencing, all together it's been a bit of a disaster!