J10 CVT Sport Mode Question

Forum for Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU
NSN1968
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by NSN1968 »

Hi all.

I wonder if any of you guys can help with a question about revs in various gears...

I recently bought a 2012 QQ N-tec+ with a 1.6CVT transmission.
I've always owned autos but this is my first CVT box. I've been playing around with the L and D gears, as well as using the Sport button on the gear lever and also the additional accelerator pedal travel after the resistance at the bottom (kickdown)

From 20 MPH plus, if I floor the accelerator in D gear (up to but not including the kickdown), the revs shoot up to around 4.5k and above and I get fairly good acceleration (or at least the expected acceleration). If I do exactly the same but with the Sport button pressed, the revs only go to 3.5k which makes the acceleration not so good. This seems to be the opposite of what I'd expect.

The revs are higher at lower speeds with the sport mode on but I'm puzzled as to why the revs seem to be limited in sport mode when accelerating hard to say 60 MPH.

If I press the accelerator beyond the resistance at the bottom (kickdown) then the revs shoot up nicely and I get the extra acceleration but this behaviour is the same with and without sport mode activated.

I'm happy to accept the Sport mode just makes the car more responsive at lower speeds (which it does) but I'd like to know your experiences to check there's nothing actually wrong with the car.

Thanks Neil

Qashowner
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Qashowner »

I don't know too much about the QQ CVT box, but I have driven a MB B180 with the CVT box which had a "sport and economy" mode. Basically the sport held the "gears" a little longer although with hitting the pedal to the metal :D I got the same results as I effectively over rode the selection. I am guessing the QQ has similar set up.
Past cars Mercedes B Class, S Class, E Class Estate, E Class Coupe, G Wagen, 260E interspersed with Peugeot 406 and Audi Coupe.
NSN1968
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by NSN1968 »

Just to clarify my question, from a standing start, putting my foot to the floor to the point of resistance (ie not using the extra kickdown bit of throttle pedal travel)...

Without sport mode, car revs to over 4.5k and acceleration is good.
With sport mode, car revs to 3k and acceleration is not so good.

This seems to be the opposite of what I'd expect.
However, when using the accelerator more lightly, in sport mode the revs are higher than when not in sport mode, although they never exceed 3.5k.
Is this normal?